sabre 2 190 or pilot 188

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ff_brown

ff_brown
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

i'd like to get people's opinion on what is the better canopy loaded at 1.4. i'm torn between the two.

cheers

#2 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Jump both of them, see which one you like. Seriously. In those sizes, you should have no trouble finding either a demo or just a loan of both.

Nothing anyone says on here should make that decision for you, because it really is just a matter of personal taste, and they do fly differently.

I like one and dislike the other, MrsCoaster (who has more jumps) likes the other one and doesn't fancy the one I do. We're both right :)

(How come you don't want a Safire2?)

#3 p1mdg

p1mdg
  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

I was a sabre 2 man thru and thru, but I now have a pilot. They both have advantages and disadvantages but demo both it will be blindingly obvious which one suits you.

Have fun

#4 pendragon

pendragon
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • Home DZ:Headcorn
  • Jumps:1,300

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

Personally I'd go for the Safire2 (189 is it?) at that w/l

#5 Willis

Willis
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

How long do you intend keeping this canopy for?
If price is important, the Pilot is cheaper.
If resale value is important I'd go with the Sabre2.
If you jump camera personally I prefer the Pilot's openings.
Both are fun to land but fly well in brakes with enough left over to nail tight landing areas.

I'm jumping a Pilot 140' with wl of slightly over 1.4. I demoed a Sabre2 135 and that was a great canopy.
Try and demo/borrow (Safire too) and see which is most suited to your flight requirements, see what suits you sir.

#6 SkydivePete

SkydivePete
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:1000+

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hi,
I actually own both canopies, My pilot was the first i owned, which I have in an atom legend container, I loved to fly it but was never happy about the amount of flare I got from it.

I have just bought a new javelin rig with a sabre 2 190. I have spent the last two weeks jumping it in the US. I really love it. I initially put the same input into the flare and shot straight back up in the air. I soon learnt to fly it with less input. I absolutley love it.

I am loading at 1.6

I think you should try both as everyone will have an opinion, what you like will depend on you, and the way you fly according to your wing load.
I hope this helped, feel free to come back to me.
Hope you make the right choice for you.
stay safe
Pete