Photo
- - - - -

Do skydivers ride motorbikes more than whuffos?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you ever, do you now, or are you likely to own or ride a motorbike (128 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you ever, do you now, or are you likely to own or ride a motorbike

1. Voted I ride a bike at the moment (44 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

2. I have owned a bike in the last 3 years, but don't now - I'll probably get another one in the next 3 years. (7 votes [5.47%])

Percentage of vote: 5.47%

3. I have owned a bike in the last 3 years, but don't now - I'm unlikely to get another one in the next 3 years. (5 votes [3.91%])

Percentage of vote: 3.91%

4. I have owned a bike, but longer ago than 3 years - I'll probably get another one in the next 3 years. (6 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

5. I have owned a bike, but longer ago than 3 years - - I'm unlikely to get another one in the next 3 years. (12 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

6. I've never had a bike before, but am likely to in the next 3 years (22 votes [17.19%])

Percentage of vote: 17.19%

7. Never have, not likely to (32 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jont

jont
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Jumps:1750

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

I always think I see more motorbikes in DZ carparks than I ought to for the number of people there. My gut feeling is that motorbike riding is higher amongst skydivers than the general population - presumably because jumpers tend to be type A personalities, thrill seekers, etc. Thought I'd run a completely non-scientific non-random poll to test my theory. Sorry if the questions seem a bit longwinded - I thought I'd try and get a snapshot of the last 3 and next 3 years amongst active jumpers.

So - are you, have you been, are you likely to be, a motorbike rider?

jon t

#2 skydivingyeti

skydivingyeti
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Home DZ:Nomad
  • Jumps:230

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

you don't have my category - never owned one, not likely to in the next three years (ie: i may do after that) - my reasons are more financial than anything, i just dont think i'll have the money (or time) to really commit to learning to ride one and then buy, run, insure, etc my own bike in the next three years. of course anything can change!

but are you really correct that a lot of skydivers are thrill seekers? most that i bump into are just adventurous outgoing types but not necessarily adrenaline junkies - they take a lot of care and responsibility when jumping, and with other aspects of their life ... if anything the longterm skydiver seems to have a very sensible head, especially those with families and careers to worry about. this is also completely unscientific, just my opinion :P

#3 jont

jont
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Jumps:1750

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

you don't have my category - never owned one, not likely to in the next three years (ie: i may do after that) :P

sorry folks. please asssume last option means just that - never have, unlikely to in next 3 years. don't think i can edit it now.

cheers

jt

#4 callbarney

callbarney
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

I ride a ZX6R Ninja everyday to work and back :)

#5 crazy ivan

crazy ivan
  • Members
  • 71 posts
  • Home DZ:langar
  • Jumps:900

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

i've got 3, but need to sell at least one, (my trackbike can go first) :D always had them, and always will. biker to the bone :what: :thumbs:

#6 MrCat

MrCat
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

I had my bike licence for 10 years before I bothered getting a car licence.

I've had a variety of motorbikes over the year but just got three now. CB600 Hornet, CBR600 and my CBR1100-XX Blackbird.

Being from the Isle of Man it's kind of expected that you have a garage full of motorbikes :)

Given where I live I know a lot of whuffos that ride motorbikes (and ride them a lot faster than me) that won't jump out of a plane.

Can't wait for the day when my pro track records a higher speed in freefall than the speed I've been on a motorbike !!!

#7 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar, Hib
  • Jumps:160

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

I currently ride an 05 fireblade. Just passed my FS1 and thinking my own rig sometime in the future as when its sunny i'm tending to be at the DZ anyway.

Cant afford to run my car, bills, sky diving and a bike on one wage!!

Will be looking to sell the blade soon i think.

#8 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • Home DZ:Hinton
  • Jumps:30

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

I can only come to the conclusion that alot of bike riders at DZ's belong to tandems. I can't see a skydiver who owns their own rig, helmet and suit, carrying all that crap on their back!

#9 Tricky

Tricky

Verified instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 5,160 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:1400

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

I can only come to the conclusion that alot of bike riders at DZ's belong to tandems. I can't see a skydiver who owns their own rig, helmet and suit, carrying all that crap on their back!

Some DZs have lockers to keep stuff in

Or the bikers have car driving friends!

#10 MrCat

MrCat
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

I got a rig box made which holds my rig, helmet, jump suit (in one of those bags you compress to squish all the air out) and all the other bits and pieces I need and then one of my mates made an alloy top plate that goes on my sw-motech top plate. The whole lot attaches to the bike in seconds and holds my rig nice an securely.

Trish and I have one pannier each for three / four days and we've found the more often we go on the bike to Tilly the better we get at packing :)

A motorbike and 2 passengers is about half the price of a car on the ferry and its a damm site quicker (and more fun) getting to the drop zone.

Must sort some pikkies !

#11 Kate1973

Kate1973
  • Members
  • 230 posts
  • Home DZ:Any where across the world
  • Jumps:1300

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

I'm riding my first bike in September (after the world cup with teams permission).

#12 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

Good luck on that, i'm sure you will be awesome :thumbs: , I just cant see me being able to afford to run mine as well as other stuff.

#13 Kate1973

Kate1973
  • Members
  • 230 posts
  • Home DZ:Any where across the world
  • Jumps:1300

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

Just have to work more jobs is all

#14 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

true, i do have HGV and forklift licences, could use them

#15 mx19

mx19
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Dubai
  • Jumps:4500

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Can't wait for the day when my pro track records a higher speed in freefall than the speed I've been on a motorbike !!!

More than 70??? you must be a slow faller... ;) :smt018

I have an R6 at the moment but am trying to sell it at the moment as i wont be able to afford the loan payments when i move abroad :( but to be honest i dont ride it anywhere near as much as i think i should as when the weathers nice im either working or jumping!

#16 soulrider

soulrider
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

I currently own an RSV Mille R 01 and have done for a good few years now, cant see it something that will ever change. Will miss it far to much if i give it up for a car.

Just waiting to start my AFF in october and then as i will be renting gear for a while my bike will be fine. Hopefully after i can fit all my stuff in a big camping bag.

#17 TOOT

TOOT
  • Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Have been riding since long before starting jumping... started with a VT250 then went onto a XJ600.

Currently riding a 1990 CBR1000F (was affectionately known as the "Ballistic Sofa" when it first came out)... and I also have a 1986 VFR750F in the garage awaiting much needed TLC.

I have my own locker at the DZ, so I only need to carry my camera gear with me (the CBR has huge panniers).

#18 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

I'll enjoy while i've still got it, if weather is nice this Friday i'll be riding down to langar after work.

#19 johnny_p

johnny_p
  • Members
  • 695 posts
  • Jumps:520

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

I had an 05 underseat exhaust model R1 until Aug 06. I'd always had bikes and crashed some of them (broken ankle one time, screwed tibia the second). I never really thought about the danger until I started skydiving. In my mind skydiving was much more of a kick and probably safer. I sold my bike due to non use and I doubt I will ever have another one.

#20 Kye

Kye
  • Members
  • 757 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:A few

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

I'm looking at getting one when money is better off. I plan to start with a GS500, then up to an SV650 S. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)