Photo
- - - - -

Do skydivers ride motorbikes more than whuffos?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you ever, do you now, or are you likely to own or ride a motorbike (128 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you ever, do you now, or are you likely to own or ride a motorbike

1. Voted I ride a bike at the moment (44 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

2. I have owned a bike in the last 3 years, but don't now - I'll probably get another one in the next 3 years. (7 votes [5.47%])

Percentage of vote: 5.47%

3. I have owned a bike in the last 3 years, but don't now - I'm unlikely to get another one in the next 3 years. (5 votes [3.91%])

Percentage of vote: 3.91%

4. I have owned a bike, but longer ago than 3 years - I'll probably get another one in the next 3 years. (6 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

5. I have owned a bike, but longer ago than 3 years - - I'm unlikely to get another one in the next 3 years. (12 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

6. I've never had a bike before, but am likely to in the next 3 years (22 votes [17.19%])

Percentage of vote: 17.19%

7. Never have, not likely to (32 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 soulrider

soulrider
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

I had an SV650s to start with, good middle weight and rated as an excellent learner bike and all rounder. Why not start of with one and miss out the GS500?

I got fed up with the limits of the SV650s after 9 months so i would imagine i would have been even more intolerant of the GS500. Insurance for my SV fully comp with one previous claim was 650 so again pretty good price. I did love my SV as well, you can have so much fun on it, knee down/peg down, wheelies (stoppies are hard due to budget brakes and suspension) and its comfortable for long distrance traveling. Also easy to ride and controll in bad weather and should you make a mistake as a learner its not likely to throw you off. Gives you alot more time to correct it than supersports etc.

You want any advice or another opinion etc just pm me.

#22 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar, Hib
  • Jumps:160

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:07 PM

[quote name="soulrider"]I had an SV650s to start with, good middle weight and rated as an excellent learner bike and all rounder. Why not start of with one and miss out the GS500?quote]

Defo agree there mate, the SV is a good first mid range engine bike, nice bit of grunt, sounds sweet with after market end cans too, you only have to ride it as hard as you choose to as well.

I got a CBR6 F for my first big bike and that was very forgiving to the big bike noob :thumbs:

#23 MrCat

MrCat
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

More than 70??? you must be a slow faller... ;) :smt018

I live on the Isle of Man and we have no national speed limit so I've actually been faster two up than I have in freefall...

It was only a question of time before some one posted a picture so it might as well be me... This is my hornet :)
Posted Image

#24 murf62

murf62
  • Members
  • 842 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell, Nethers
  • Jumps:Some

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Here's my toy.

Attached Files

• Attached File  749.jpg   66.92KB   247 downloads

#25 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Nice bikes guys, you didnt tell me you had a duke murf!

Mr Cat have you tried the hornests nest website, i used to be on there when i had my hornet a while back, friendly bunch

#26 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

how do you get the resolution of a pic down? my bike pic is just over 1 meg but apparently thats too much when i try to attach it.

#27 MrCat

MrCat
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Mr Cat have you tried the hornests nest website, i used to be on there when i had my hornet a while back, friendly bunch

Yep - used to be on there. I wen by the name of groove.facilitator. Got the seat unit and rear sets from the Hornets Nest.

For resizing images I use irfanview image viewer - http://www.irfanview.com/ its an image viewer that allows you to resize, resample, resave etc images. There is an option 'save for web' that allows you to tweak the settings and view the differences in quality

#28 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

I have irfan view, cheers mate, :shock: Now i'm looking i'm not sure if i can sell :cry:

Attached Files

• Attached File  test.jpg   224.2KB   194 downloads

#29 murf62

murf62
  • Members
  • 842 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell, Nethers
  • Jumps:Some

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

Is that one of those Kawayamzukionda things from Japan? Like their designers, they all look pretty much alike to me. ;)

#30 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

lol my bladerondasaki is superb, must admit though if i was loaded id get the new duke 1098, sweet as .

#31 Kye

Kye
  • Members
  • 757 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:A few

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

I had an SV650s to start with, good middle weight and rated as an excellent learner bike and all rounder. Why not start of with one and miss out the GS500?

I got fed up with the limits of the SV650s after 9 months so i would imagine i would have been even more intolerant of the GS500. Insurance for my SV fully comp with one previous claim was 650 so again pretty good price. I did love my SV as well, you can have so much fun on it, knee down/peg down, wheelies (stoppies are hard due to budget brakes and suspension) and its comfortable for long distrance traveling. Also easy to ride and controll in bad weather and should you make a mistake as a learner its not likely to throw you off. Gives you alot more time to correct it than supersports etc.

You want any advice or another opinion etc just pm me.

I have heard that said a few times about it, so I'm rather dead set on getting one. And it's sexy as anything when it's faired.

Whats the throttle responses like on it? I'm a bit worried of...panicing really and tensing up and in turn opening the throttle. All depends on your riding pattern of thought, observation, common sense etc I guess.

Damn it, I want one! Along with a Gixxer, Triumph 675 Daytona and a few others. 8) :P

#32 soulrider

soulrider
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

To be honest Kye the SV650s can be a pretty fast bike but you really have to work it and want to make it go fast in order for it to do so. occasional slip on throttle i wouldnt really worry about to be honest.

I had a speedo reading of 142 on mine, most i ever had andwith misread it was probably closer to the 135 that it will do on paper.Acceleration is impressive if you push it and have it at the right revs and handling is fantastic. GS500's are nice bikes i had one for my lessons and test but i'd never buy one. Bit on the mundane side.

I had the bikini fairing on mine, still not made my mind up on the whole panels yet. If i ever get a commuter bike it will be another SV though.

Oh steve completely agree 1098s or R (or 1198 as their now known) is my dream bike. Just beautiful machines.

#33 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

yeah mate that or the MV Augusta F4

#34 soulrider

soulrider
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Yeah if you can afford one, let alone whether or not your brave enough to take it out with the chance of a chip on the paint work or a bit of rain coming down.

Beautiful bikes but to be honest i would be affraid to ride it properly.

#35 chris1269

chris1269
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

Here's my new bike =)

Attached Files

#36 Jonsky7

Jonsky7
  • Members
  • 383 posts
  • Home DZ:Peterlee/Weston/Cerney
  • Jumps:200

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

After 2 years of it sitting in the garage I decided I'd like to get my '99 Yamaha R6 back on the road. Got TPF&T cover for 140 quid which I think is pretty good. I've had it for about 7 years. I've never really ridden it anywhere near as much as I should. I was going to sell it to buy myself a better rig but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Posted Image

#37 luckymaguire

luckymaguire
  • Members
  • 93 posts
  • Home DZ:BKPC
  • Jumps:300+

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

jonsky, the moment you sell it will be the moment you miss it the most......

i miss my bike sooo much.

not likely to get one till next year either.

bummer!

#38 tmidir

tmidir
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

i'm currently trying to sell my suzuki sv650s in order to buy my first rig, anyone interested in swapping/ part exchange?? :thumbs:

#39 Swoop

Swoop
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Jumps:5000+

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

Currently on an '07 Honda VFR800. Can get the rig, jumpsuit, frap hat, etc into the topbox, so no worries getting to the dz. Have even done a longer trip by just bungying the gearbag onto the pillion seat.

Stuffed if I know how to add a pic though! :whistle:

#40 steve_lar_uk

steve_lar_uk
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

Swoop if you want to add a pic, when you hit the reply button to this topic, let the page load up, scroll down, just under the Preview Submit buttons is a tab to "upload attachment" click on that then browse to a pic of your bike on your computer :thumbs:

You may have to resize it to fit the maximum file size.

For resizing images irfanview image viewer - http://www.irfanview.com/ its an image viewer that allows you to resize, resample, resave etc images. There is an option 'save for web' that allows you to tweak the settings and view the differences in quality :thumbs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users