- - - - -

Windows RC 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NealF

NealF
  • Members
  • 693 posts
  • Home DZ:Wild Geese Northern Ireland (and any Swallow DZ)
  • Jumps:700

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

Ok following a convo with a fellow jumper and computer whizz i have decided to start testing the RC for Windows 7 next week on my other computer and was just wondering if anyone else out there will also be doing so? was reading through the information and it said it would be good for people testing the RC to keep in touch with eachother and help eachother with the techno :D

#2 MrCat

MrCat
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Windows 7 has gone beyond RC (release candidate) stage into RTM stage (release to manufacturer) so the RC version you are thinking of installing has already been replaced.

Windows 7 is OK - I've tested it on a couple of different machines. Had a few issues with video card drivers (if you have an older machine/video card you may have problems getting some of the fancy graphic features working).

Also if you are thinking about keeping the RC on for a while it will expire next year - see this article.

http://arstechnica.c...e-next-week.ars

#3 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:513

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

Depends where he's getting it mate, the RTM version seems to have been leaked and is available on-line! I'll be interested in hearing any tests that you do of it though!

#4 MrCat

MrCat
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

I'm already running the RTM as it is already available to microsoft MSDN subscribers as a legal download :) NealF said he was looking at the RC so I was just giving him a heads up on its end of life.

One change from RC to RTM was for the wifi drivers for my wifi card - it worked happily with the RC but the RTM was hooking up and failing. Had to force it to install the driver I wanted and now it works fine :)

#5 Patrick

Patrick
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Been using it now for a while and it is an improvement. I have the RC at the minute but have a copy of the RTM from my MSDN might give it a go later.

#6 NealF

NealF
  • Members
  • 693 posts
  • Home DZ:Wild Geese Northern Ireland (and any Swallow DZ)
  • Jumps:700

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

Windows 7 has gone beyond RC (release candidate) stage into RTM stage (release to manufacturer) so the RC version you are thinking of installing has already been replaced.

Windows 7 is OK - I've tested it on a couple of different machines. Had a few issues with video card drivers (if you have an older machine/video card you may have problems getting some of the fancy graphic features working).

Also if you are thinking about keeping the RC on for a while it will expire next year - see this article.

http://arstechnica.c...e-next-week.ars

:thumbs: :thumbs: