Photo

New Tunnel Nr Bristol Planned (?)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...tshire-13373257

UK's longest indoor ski slope plans for Weston
Plans for the UK's longest indoor real snow ski slope have been unveiled in Weston-super-Mare.

If the plans by developers LeisureDome are approved, the £50m snow centre would be the first in the South West.

The 210-metre slope at Locking Parklands would be 40 metres longer than the one in Milton Keynes. It would also include an indoor surf centre.

A public exhibition is being held at Weston Football Club until 2000 BST on Thursday.

Plans for the centre also include the country's tallest climbing wall, a freefall centre - simulating a sky diving experience - and a skateboard and BMX park.

The former RAF Locking site has been identified by North Somerset Council as a regeneration opportunity.

'Tourism benefits'

LeisureDome's director, Clive Hamilton-Davies, said the centre had the potential to attract more than 500,000 visitors in its first year of opening.

It is also anticipated 583 jobs would be created.

"The development will not only attract those interested in the activities on offer, but will also generate wider associated tourism benefits for Weston-super-Mare," he said.

"Working with existing attractions like the pier, LeisureDome will extend the length of time visitors stay in the town. This in turn will help to increase the income from tourism."

Simon Gregory, the council's economic development service manager, said: "For North Somerset to be attracting this type of proposal is more evidence that our area is on the up and businesses are seeing the investment potential of the area, especially at a time when the economy generally continues to struggle.

"We understand planning proposals will be submitted to us in the next couple of weeks, which will provide the opportunity to fully consider the plans for this development."

Any ideas who is behind this? Or is this a planners dream still?

#2 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,214 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

I hope this is true... It's about time they built a tunnel closer to me!!! 1 hr, instead of 3!! Awesome.

#3 avdan

avdan
  • Members
  • 155 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

I heard about it a few months ago but their hasn't been any new info on it since.

No idea who is planning it but i hope it happens. 45mins instead of 3 and half!

#4 888seconds

888seconds
  • Members
  • 247 posts
  • Jumps:100+

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:24 PM

well seeing as it would be the only tunnel/snow centre for miles and miles.... all of the south west, south wales and parts of the south coast would end up going there over bedford/MK/Manx.

i guess its just a case of "watch this space"

#5 Craig

Craig

UKS Verified Instructor & Council 2016

• Verified Instructors
  • 2,647 posts
  • Home DZ:Chatteris
  • Jumps:4500

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...tshire-13373257

Any ideas who is behind this? Or is this a planners dream still?

There was a recent skydiving EuroMillions lottery winner from down that way that said he wanted to spend some of his winnings on a wind tunnel? :hmmm:

#6 Ado

Ado
  • Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

If its going to be built alongside an Xscape SnoDome like the ones in MK and Manchester then it will be an Airkix tunnel.

#7 da_vide78

da_vide78
  • Members
  • 602 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

fuckin amazzziiinng!!!!!!

That only means one thing - Even more skintness....... :-)

#8 FlyingLunaTic

FlyingLunaTic
  • Members
  • 64 posts
  • Home DZ:Airkix MK & Redlands
  • Jumps:3

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Loving this idea!

I had heard the rumor but wasn't public knowledge and had heard nothing more about it and now this! Woooohoooo!

Maybe I'll be coming back to live at home rather than working/living half way between MK tunnel and Home (one reason I took the job was to significantly reduce my traveling time to the tunnel!)

Fingers crossed this gets under way soon!

#9 avdan

avdan
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

LeisureDome(UK) who are the people proposing the new complex at Weston-Super-Mare just posted this on their Facebook page

"The proposed wind tunnel is a Recirculation flight chamber:

Diameter - 14ft
No. of users - 6 professional flyer person capacity
Velocity - up to 260 km/h (161 mph)
More details will be revealed over the next few weeks as the planning process is completed.!"

So sounds the same as the Manchester tunnel

The picture on their Homepage definitely shows a tunnel too

#10 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Any news anywhere about the company behind the tunnel? Airkix, Bodyflight, or a third party?

#11 DJM

DJM
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Jumps:700

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

http://www.jackbrist...n-economy-6469/

The plan has been approved by N Somerset council and moves on to the next stage...

#12 Tonythetiger

Tonythetiger
  • Members
  • 130 posts
  • Jumps:22

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

This will be fantastic!!! It's not that far from me, and the nearest I have is MK AT 142 miles away!

#13 CharlieP

CharlieP
  • Members
  • 283 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:372

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

If its going to be built alongside an Xscape SnoDome like the ones in MK and Manchester then it will be an Airkix tunnel.

The Manchester slope isn't Xscape, it's Chill Factore. The Xscape in the North is at Castleford - I wish it did have an Airkix attached, as it's ten minutes from my house. :thumbs:

#14 BruH5200

BruH5200
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

I understand that it is an independant (not airkix) tunnel and that it will be transparent from top to bottom.I'm very excited as I live in Weston and am currently only flying when I can get to MK or Manchester!!

#15 as_you_were

as_you_were
  • Members
  • 344 posts
  • Jumps:500

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

like this?

http://www.bodyfligh...nnels/46238ISB/

#16 margo1918

margo1918
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • Home DZ:Kingsfield
  • Jumps:655

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Great News.... Will it have a Pirate Theme??

#17 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Anyone from the area know if work has started on this yet? As according to an article work may start as early as december this year.

#18 AllyMilne

AllyMilne

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar/Windtunnels(Airkix mostly)
  • Jumps:7500+

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

I think most tunnels are late on schedule when it come to building them! Not many are on time.

#19 avdan

avdan
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

The latest news article i can find is from the 18th November which says

A contract has been signed with "Terminal Velocity, the freefall centre operators" So something must be happening behind the scenes. Anybody have any ideas who that is?

News Article

But more importantly Subway have signed a contract to be there too!

Edited by avdan, 13 December 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#20 GregL

GregL
  • Members
  • 185 posts
  • Home DZ:Parachutisme71
  • Jumps:650

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

Work to begin at the start of next year!

Also and perhaps more importantly:

Butcombe Brewery managing director Guy Newell said: "We're thrilled to be creating a Butcombe bar within the Leisuredome."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users