• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock / Langar

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

For the price differences I have seen on some websites I could pay for a holiday in America....

Please explain?!? Surely it doesnt cost over a grand to get kit from the US to the UK?

Anyone else been to the US purely to buy kit? Im thinking I might when the time comes!!

Discuss!

#2 tom ireland

tom ireland
  • Members
  • 266 posts
  • Home DZ:Headcorn
  • Jumps:260

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

A guy at my Dz saved around £1100 on some brand new kit and just gave someone £50 to bring it back.

#3 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Im not surprise man. The savings im seeing are unbelievable.
If anyone is travelling to the US give me a shout lol

#4 dan_maden

dan_maden
  • Members
  • 208 posts
  • Jumps:23

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

Don't forget if you bring something in from the US you'll have to inform HMRC and give them their 20% cut of the total value. Obviously you can choose to ignore this and smuggle said items through but then you'd have to deal with your conscience. After all you'd be a criminal, no better than drug dealers or murders etc. :shock:

#5 Chris Smith

Chris Smith
  • Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Don't forget if you bring something in from the US you'll have to inform HMRC and give them their 20% cut of the total value. Obviously you can choose to ignore this and smuggle said items through but then you'd have to deal with your conscience. After all you'd be a criminal, no better than drug dealers or murders etc. :shock:

20% ? thought it worked out to about 25% inc VAT/IMPORT Tax? (and mums the word! this is the WORLD WIDE WEB :whistle: )

#6 dan_maden

dan_maden
  • Members
  • 208 posts
  • Jumps:23

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

20% ? thought it worked out to about 25% inc VAT/IMPORT Tax? (and mums the word! this is the WORLD WIDE WEB :whistle: )

25%????

And they say the smugglers are the criminals!

#7 sgorf

sgorf
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

Don't forget that US stores don't usually include US sales tax in the price, which they don't have to charge you if they're shipping out of state but they do have to charge when selling within the state. VAT is charged when you import stuff to keep a level playing field with UK suppliers. Duty is charged on top, which is a bit more (from memory 4.7% is it for skydiving stuff, which is where 25% came from maybe?)

Americans can often avoid paying sales tax by buying mail order from another state, technically they have to declare "usage" within their own state and pay it that way but many don't.

I don't think you can compare US taxation with UK taxation though. We have the NHS for a start, they have to pay insane rates for healthcare.

#8 tom ireland

tom ireland
  • Members
  • 266 posts
  • Home DZ:Headcorn
  • Jumps:260

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

One of the states is also a semi tax haven so many companies are set up there to avoid alot of the tax in other states. It's kind of ridiculous how it's one country yet everywhere just governs itself pretty much. But It is a ridiculously huge place so I suppose it can.

#9 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:15 AM

One of the states is also a semi tax haven so many companies are set up there to avoid alot of the tax in other states. It's kind of ridiculous how it's one country yet everywhere just governs itself pretty much. But It is a ridiculously huge place so I suppose it can.

Dont suppose you know which state this is :P??

Even if there were little taxes added on (probs nowhere near our robbing VAT), when I have seen; Prices starting from £1495 UK OR Prices starting from $1395 US for the same product...I'm investing in the US :thumbs:
Meh, maybe that makes me a :pirate:

Edited by Stevie Coops, 17 May 2011 - 06:16 AM.

#10 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

Psssst,
You could always remove the tags before bringing home...that way you took it with you when you went! ;)

#11 SamLee

SamLee

BCPA Council

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:940

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Psssst,
You could always remove the tags before bringing home...that way you took it with you when you went! ;)

It's not quite as easy as that. Customs can be very strict when they want to, and can sometimes request to see evidence of how much you paid for expensive items you are bringing back, and prove that you've paid the correct duties. If you can't prove it, they can make you pay it regardless, even if it isn't new!

There are a number of threads on here about it - do a search.

#12 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

It's not quite as easy as that. Customs can be very strict when they want to, and can sometimes request to see evidence of how much you paid for expensive items you are bringing back, and prove that you've paid the correct duties. If you can't prove it, they can make you pay it regardless, even if it isn't new!

There are a number of threads on here about it - do a search.

Tried searching, I'm either doing it wrong or am blind it appears!

#13 SamLee

SamLee

BCPA Council

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Tried searching, I'm either doing it wrong or am blind it appears!

Just a few by searching 'import':

http://www.ukskydive...t-tax-from-usa/
http://www.ukskydive...t-from-the-usa/
http://www.ukskydive...uk-to-usaeurope
http://www.ukskydive...er-from-america
http://www.ukskydive...econd-hand-kit/
http://www.ukskydive...y-for-relining/

Etc....

#14 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Whoop! I shall have a look at these...good job there are some clever people out there!

Still, what I don't understand is why, if it is so hard to bring stuff back, it is a highly regular occurrence for people to take empty / extra cases when going to the states! Iv done it before!
And how, if something is paid for with cash, and has no markings / tags to represent it's 'newness' anybody is going to be able to prove that it has been bought whilst away!
But then again it goes to that 'conscience' thingy....

Btw at no point would I, in any way, attempt to evade paying tax of any kind to the government of the United Kingdom.

#15 SamLee

SamLee

BCPA Council

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Whoop! I shall have a look at these...good job there are some clever people out there!

Still, what I don't understand is why, if it is so hard to bring stuff back, it is a highly regular occurrence for people to take empty / extra cases when going to the states! Iv done it before!
And how, if something is paid for with cash, and has no markings / tags to represent it's 'newness' anybody is going to be able to prove that it has been bought whilst away!
But then again it goes to that 'conscience' thingy....

Btw at no point would I, in any way, attempt to evade paying tax of any kind to the government of the United Kingdom.

It's not difficult as such, it's actually quite easy, but it is risky. Theoretically, you could take a rig out to the states for a jumping holiday, and if on returning customs decided to speak to you at random, they could ask to see evidence that whenever and wherever the rig was bought, VAT was paid on it if bought in the UK, or VAT and import tax was paid on it if bought outside of the UK. If you cant prove it either way, they could value the item (at their own and final discretion) and make you pay the relevant duties and/or VAT.

So even if you manage to buy a rig in the US, bring it back to the UK and get it through customs fine, you have the risk that anytime you take it abroad from then on your go through the same risk of being picked up on the VAT, even years down the line.

Just something to be aware of. Not that you or anyone else on here would not declare a purchase and avoid paying VAT anyway Posted Image

#16 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:513

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

It's not difficult as such, it's actually quite easy, but it is risky. Theoretically, you could take a rig out to the states for a jumping holiday, and if on returning customs decided to speak to you at random, they could ask to see evidence that whenever and wherever the rig was bought, VAT was paid on it if bought in the UK, or VAT and import tax was paid on it if bought outside of the UK. If you cant prove it either way, they could value the item (at their own and final discretion) and make you pay the relevant duties and/or VAT.

So even if you manage to buy a rig in the US, bring it back to the UK and get it through customs fine, you have the risk that anytime you take it abroad from then on your go through the same risk of being picked up on the VAT, even years down the line.

Just something to be aware of. Not that you or anyone else on here would not declare a purchase and avoid paying VAT anyway Posted Image

Interesting how a second hand rig would fare..

#17 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

Interesting how a second hand rig would fare..

Good call .....

And I think if it was a case that eveyonr had to declare everything they bought on holiday, customs would be seriously busy! Everyone buys stuff don't they...don't see many declaring the new pair of flip flops they bought in Hawaii! :P

#18 Sooze

Sooze
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

they could ask to see evidence that whenever and wherever the rig was bought, VAT was paid on it if bought in the UK ... If you cant prove it either way, they could value the item (at their own and final discretion) and make you pay the relevant duties and/or VAT. Posted Image

Not technically true VAT is only payable on UK sales if the person selling is VAT registered. Somewhere along the chain someone will have paid VAT but not reclaimed it from HMRC but it's not necessarily you.

Edited by Sooze, 17 May 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#19 GregL

GregL
  • Members
  • 185 posts
  • Home DZ:Parachutisme71
  • Jumps:650

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Buy a rig, take it to Perris, put 20 jumps on it for free with the money you've saved on duties. It will look like it has 400 jumps on it when you bring it back and you'll easily be able to claim it was second hand.

Not that I in any way condone this, just a hypothetical situation...

#20 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

Buy a rig, take it to Perris, put 20 jumps on it for free with the money you've saved on duties. It will look like it has 400 jumps on it when you bring it back and you'll easily be able to claim it was second hand.

Not that I in any way condone this, just a hypothetical situation...

Of course...everything is hypothetical....
You had the same idea I have had all along!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users