All 8 Aff Levels Done In One Day :-)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Blain@ni

Blain@ni
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Big thank you to Stu, Gav and all at beccles for helpin me get all 8 AFF levels in one day!!! Slightly sore after but the buzz didn't stop!!! Let's crack on with the consols today :-D
Oooo look at that blue sky

Addicted!!!

#2 johnny_p

johnny_p
  • Members
  • 695 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock
  • Jumps:520

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

That's good going. The most jumps I've ever done in a day was 8..... And that was without the pressure of performing.... Well done!

#3 Blain@ni

Blain@ni
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

5 consols today can't wait to bang out the rest :-))

#4 Muppet

Muppet
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Home DZ:UK Para Beccles
  • Jumps:780

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hey Arron, well done mate, I bet you'll have your FS1 by the end of the week :)

#5 Blain@ni

Blain@ni
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Cheers andy, yesterday I packed and jumped my own chute 4 times was bricking it the first one ha ha pulled high no twist nice opening RESULT. O and knocked out consol no10 I'm officially qualified :-D
Again a big thank you to all at beccles they are a sound bunch!!!

#6 Muppet

Muppet
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Home DZ:UK Para Beccles
  • Jumps:780

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well done !!! see you in the sky sometime :)

#7 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • Jumps:6

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Is this common, for people to get all 8 AFF jumps done in one day? I'm starting my AFF in 4 weeks time and was told we'd probably only get ground school in on the first day, MAYBE 1 jump, then possibly 2-3 jumps in the second day.

#8 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

It is not typical, just one extreme end of the spectrum...

My AFF started in March one year, finished in August. Different weather conditions on different days, different availability of the student and instructors... all factors that can make a difference.

I would imagine the OP did ground school on one day, then all 8 levels on another day, not all 8 + ground school on the same day.

#9 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Is this common, for people to get all 8 AFF jumps done in one day?

It's not common, and he will have done ground school on a different day - it definitely takes up your full attention for a whole day!

It's mostly not common because AFF student jumps are knackering, even 3-4 jumps in a day is a lot to start with and the weather does not always play nicely.

As we have just seen though, there are certainly exceptions! Nice work 8)

#10 James

James

Former UKS Administrator

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:500+

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Is this common, for people to get all 8 AFF jumps done in one day? I'm starting my AFF in 4 weeks time and was told we'd probably only get ground school in on the first day, MAYBE 1 jump, then possibly 2-3 jumps in the second day.

If I remember my AFF correctly, I did 2-3 jumps per day which was plenty for me.

All 8 jumps in one day is pretty amazing.

Completing your AFF levels 1-8 plus your 10 consoles in 4 days (with the UK weather) is a very good result indeed.

I had allowed 2 weeks to do my AFF and consols staying at thenDZ full time but ended up taking 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

#11 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

I had allowed 2 weeks to do my AFF and consols staying at thenDZ full time but ended up taking 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Wow, I can't take any time off work, so I'm only able to get to a DZ on weekends. If that is the way it goes, coupled with the rubbish UK weather, I might struggle to get my A-licence before the end of the year!

It's mostly not common because AFF student jumps are knackering, even 3-4 jumps in a day is a lot to start with and the weather does not always play nicely.

I've read many people saying about AFF student jumps being knackering. It's probably a naive question, but I am intrigued; what is it exactly that makes them so knackering?

#12 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Wow, I can't take any time off work, so I'm only able to get to a DZ on weekends. If that is the way it goes, coupled with the rubbish UK weather, I might struggle to get my A-licence before the end of the year!

I've read many people saying about AFF student jumps being knackering. It's probably a naive question, but I am intrigued; what is it exactly that makes them so knackering?

I think it is mainly the mental fatigue that makes it tiring. You've got a lot to take in on the ground, then the sensory overload when you are actually doing the jump is even more to take in. Chances are you'll still have quite a bit of 'the fear' going on, so you'll be having adrenalin rushes and crashes. If you are not eating well during the day you might be having sugar rushes and crashes. And lastly the student kit is quite heavy. If you are not quite strong, carrying all of it may be quite tiring. 

But I do think it is mostly the mental side of things that knackers you.

#13 Scotty

Scotty

Ally Milne's Dad

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • Home DZ:World Wide
  • Jumps:10000

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

[quote
I've read many people saying about AFF student jumps being knackering. It's probably a naive question, but I am intrigued; what is it exactly that makes them so knackering?[/quote]

I teach my students that each jump on the course is worth 8 hours work, the balance changes very quickly when they get onto consols but you need to take it easy as a student. All 8 levels in a day is not the normal.

#14 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

And lastly the student kit is quite heavy. If you are not quite strong, carrying all of it may be quite tiring. 

That's a bit worrying, I'm fairly little. 5ft6, and just over 10 stone. Ah, well, I'm sure it will be worth it!

I teach my students that each jump on the course is worth 8 hours work, the balance changes very quickly when they get onto consols but you need to take it easy as a student. All 8 levels in a day is not the normal.

Wow, I was hoping to get 2-3 in each day I'm there (assuming the weather is permitting). I guess I'll just have to wait and see how they run things at Beccles! I haven't spoken to any of the instructors from the DZ, so I have no idea who is coaching me yet. I'd like to speak to some recent students from UKPS Beccles!

#15 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

That's a bit worrying, I'm fairly little. 5ft6, and just over 10 stone. Ah, well, I'm sure it will be worth it!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. When I did mine I was 5'7" (still am) and about 10 stone (not any more...). I did find it tiring carrying the whole thing back once landed, as I am pretty weak, it felt like a long walk, and due to the adrenalin and the like my arms were like jelly. But I got through it fine. Bit of sweat, plenty of decent food and drink and you'll be sorted! And yes, it will be worth it! 

#16 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Don't worry, you'll be fine. When I did mine I was 5'7" (still am) and about 10 stone (not any more...). I did find it tiring carrying the whole thing back once landed, as I am pretty weak, it felt like a long walk, and due to the adrenalin and the like my arms were like jelly. But I got through it fine. Bit of sweat, plenty of decent food and drink and you'll be sorted! And yes, it will be worth it! 

Well, that's very encouraging! Cheers! 

#17 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

As Scotty says, they're hard work in and of themselves - your brain and body will be getting a workout.

There is also a *lot* of adrenaline flowing, no matter how calm you are in the door. That can really take it out of you by the end of the day... you will sleep like a baby during AFF :)

#18 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

As Scotty says, they're hard work in and of themselves - your brain and body will be getting a workout.

There is also a *lot* of adrenaline flowing, no matter how calm you are in the door. That can really take it out of you by the end of the day... you will sleep like a baby during AFF :)

Too early to tell how calm/nervous/anxious I will be, but glad I reserved a spot in the bunkhouse for my first weekend of AFF. Was originally going to sleep in the car or pitch a tent to save some money. Figured I might be exhausted as such!

AFF seriously can't come soon enough! Doesn't help that we've got blue skies right now and I'm stuck here in my central London office building!

#19 Blain@ni

Blain@ni
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi all, yea ground school was done the day before. Each level the instructor would test me by signalling me to do something at breaking height etc and it was done on a jump to jump basis that if he thought I was tiring we were stopping. Also take into account I had 6 static line jumps and was used to working long hours..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users