#1 James

James

Former UKS Administrator

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:500+

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

With the new tunnel at Empuria now being completed - I wondered if it is now rated as one of the best in Europe??

Has anyone tried it yet and how does it rate compared to Bottrop / Prague and some of the others??

#2 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:513

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

We flew there yesterday and got some more time today.
Its a 14ft tunnel that's ok but missing some skydiver comforts like no videos or creepers.
The airlock is easy to get in and out (not like Manchester / mk) and the bar area is nice

#3 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

In terms of the experience of flying in it, I'd say it's the nicest of all of them (disclaimer: I have only done 4-way in it, can't freefly for toffee). Fractionally smaller than Bedford, the wall glass (or whatever the material is) is slightly more forgiving if you knock a knee into it. The airflow is strong and clean.

I really like the visuals of being in a big room with people sitting around outside. The airlock is comfy and the door shape is excellent.

Hopefully they figure out the creeper and debrief video situation.

One thing while we were there, they had software problems on one of the days and there was no flying. I guess this is a product of it all being brand new, and they'll figure it out.

The bar makes massive gin and tonics, which is good, but they can get touchy if you bring your own food. Which given that you're spending many hundreds or even thousands of euros there that day, feels a bit cheap. If you're going to be like that, make better food and people will buy it.

These are little things. Overall, the tunnel is superb. It's definitely a contender.

#4 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,772 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

The food menu there now is very good now, and reasonably priced too!

#5 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:513

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

The food and drink is very reasonable, the bar staff are lovely too.

On the camera / creeper front. After that post they put up a top down camera, but no playback functionality was available other than the replay showing us in the chamber. When we needed creepers we borrowed them from the DZ.

All in all the makings of a really good tunnel when they get it all up and running / polished. 

#6 timmyg

timmyg
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunks
  • Jumps:800

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

How does it work out price wise for bulk time?

#7 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,772 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

304330_286222228155775_1398457269_n.jpg

#8 AllyMilne

AllyMilne

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar/Windtunnels(Airkix mostly)
  • Jumps:7500+

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

I took a FF coaching group over there in Feb and everyone thought it was fantastic. All the staff were really helpful and the facility including the changing area is well laid out and tidy. The airflow is smooth and fast and nice touch to have soft seats in the waiting chamber. The net doesn't have much give on it and the door has a larger drop out than you would think but those points are minor compared to the many plus points.

I'm looking at taking another group out to do the same once summer is done here :)

#9 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

The net doesn't have much give on it

Yeah I found that out the pointy way... some amusing trick exits don't work so well now :pirate:

In fact I'd change the word from 'net' to 'grid'.

#10 hodges

hodges
  • Members
  • 251 posts
  • Home DZ:Netheravon
  • Jumps:650

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

* Removed comment because I didn't read the price list properly...!

Edited by hodges, 17 March 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users