#1 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Saw this posted on dz.com:

http://www.superflynetwork.eu/

It notifies of many different tunnels being built by Super Fly throughout Europe.

One is a 5.5m (18ft) tunnel in London that is "in progress".

First I had heard of it, anyone know any other info?

#2 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

*falls over*

#3 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:513

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

:o :o :o can't wait to try that one!

#4 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,156 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

But not even an artist's impression on the website. Something tells me this is 2015 if at all.

#5 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm guessing "in progress" means they are probably at the (pre-)planning stage, given the fact that clearly none of us have heard anything about it!

But clearly they are trying or at least hoping to get one going somewhere in London... One of their tunnels is open, one about to open, one "under development", with an artists impression, four "in progress" and one "in progress" but with an Autumn 2014 opening date.

So yeah, 2015 would prob be realistic... but that's only just over a year and a half away (minimum)!

#6 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,156 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

I've emailed them. If I get a reply I'll post it here.

#7 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your interest in our tunnel development.
The exact place where the tunnel would be located in London is under negotiations so at the moment we wouldn't want to specify that yet. We'll update the information on our web when finalised. Also , at this stage we don't have any employment openings, but will inform when we will have some work opportunities.
We'll keep you updated through our web:)
Thanks
Katarina

SUPERFLY TUNNEL s.r.o. for Superfly Tunnel Network
Mob.: <edit: removed>
www.superfly.sk

#8 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hmmm. So it is more at the "we want to open the biggest tunnel in the world in London, but don't know where, when or how yet" stage.

Wonder if Airkix will beat them to it and get another one open first?

But 18ft?! Could start doing 16 way in the tunnel!

#9 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Jumps:513

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I dont know if airkix would want to go as big as 18ft, that'll be an expensive one to run! 

Whos old their soul to the devil to give us so many tunnels in the south of England?! Am not complaining just want to know who 'took one for the team'..

#10 Colin

Colin

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

I'm not sure if the technology is there yet to get clean airflow at 18'. But I shudder to thing what the prices would be to cover the overhead in London! 8)

#11 chrisjudd

chrisjudd
  • Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

When they say London, I wonder if this is going to be like 'North London Parachute Centre', or 'London Southend Airport' London... or actual London.

#12 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Skydive London is my favourite.

#13 DeeBeeGee

DeeBeeGee
  • Members
  • 591 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:~900

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

tack on another £550 a week onto the already exorbitant cost of living in london!

the optimist in me says that the market surrounding london is already saturated so they'll have to build it on the empty plot behind my flat

#14 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm not sure if the technology is there yet to get clean airflow at 18'. But I shudder to thing what the prices would be to cover the overhead in London! 8)

Splitting it 16 ways would make it affordable I'm sure!!

#15 as_you_were

as_you_were
  • Members
  • 344 posts
  • Jumps:500

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Don't reckon it will happen :(

#16 adamUK

adamUK
  • Members
  • 85 posts
  • Home DZ:Peterlee

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

The airflow no problem.  Keeping it smooth at higher wind speed's the difficult bit (boundary layer separation, drag being a function of the square of velocity, etc).  The killer will be the power requirement to drive a tunnel that diameter.   I worked out once (saddo that I am) that there was about 2 tonnes of air in the mankix tunnel.  This would increase to 3.3 tonnes plus all an extra 65% in tunnel surface area of drag to overcome.  It'd probably cost about twice as much per hour to run as the 14ft tunnel.

#17 BASE813

BASE813
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • Home DZ:Various
  • Jumps:1000

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Not just the operational cost once up and running - but the cost of getting hold of a site, planning, etc....

London is not a cheap place to purchase land (there are some very well funded companies out there chasing the same bits of land) and build (a lot more expensive build cost per sqft than the rest of the UK) - thats even if you get the planning permission sorted anyway, and that process is sodding expensive. Unlike the huge SP £/sqft you get in London compared to the rest of the UK for resi / commercial to make that risk profitable, not sure tunnel time will cut it? I could be wrong....I'd be interested to see how this has been modelled to work....

Edited by BASE813, 05 July 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#18 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'd be interested to see how this has been modelled to work....

Superfly's board meeting: translated into English

Person 1: We need to build a tunnel somewhere else, where haven't we got one going yet?

Person 2: Well, there's the UK. They seem to like wind tunnels because there are four already.

Person 1: Good idea. Let's go for the UK. Where should we build it?

Person 3: London's the capital, so why not there?

Person 1: Makes sense.

Person 4: As they've got 4 already, we'll have to make it quite a special tunnel.

Person 2: We could make it bigger?

Person 1, 3 & 4: Great idea!!! The biggest in the world!!

Person 1: That's it sorted then, biggest tunnel in the world in the London. What's the next item on the agenda?

And that's where we've joined them... 

Or I could be wrong.

#19 BASE813

BASE813
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • Home DZ:Various
  • Jumps:1000

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Superfly's board meeting: translated into English

Person 1: We need to build a tunnel somewhere else, where haven't we got one going yet?
Person 2: Well, there's the UK. They seem to like wind tunnels because there are four already.
Person 1: Good idea. Let's go for the UK. Where should we build it?
Person 3: London's the capital, so why not there?
Person 1: Makes sense.
Person 4: As they've got 4 already, we'll have to make it quite a special tunnel.
Person 2: We could make it bigger?
Person 1, 3 & 4: Great idea!!! The biggest in the world!!
Person 1: That's it sorted then, biggest tunnel in the world in the London. What's the next item on the agenda?

And that's where we've joined them...

Or I could be wrong.

Haha! Class... Probably not too far off...

#20 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

They should build it in south Wales, 20 miles north of swansea, the land would be cheaper, and it'd be 5 mins from me lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users