13 replies to this topic

#1 Burim88

Burim88
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Home DZ:Chatteris
  • Jumps:750

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've got my AFF level 1 still to do after being turned away twice due to low clouds and the plane not being allowed to take off from aviation for some reason. I travel 100 miles to Beccles (200 miles round trip) each time and it starting to cost me quite a bit of fuel. It's either travel or go to Headcorn (...and till now I haven't read a good review about headcorn). Sucks living South East

The weather app on my iphone and from the bbc is soo untrustworthy and I work 6 days a week so can only do Sundays at the moment. Is anyone else taking a risk going this Sunday to do any jumps?

#2 purpletaboofreak

purpletaboofreak
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Home DZ:UKPS Beccles
  • Jumps:100+

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hey! I'm leanna, I also travel all the way to beccles, from south east London (bermondsey) headcorn is also our most local but I wouldn't go near it.... We were grounded for 3 weeks after our ground school before we could do level 1 then we basically zoomed through. Trust me, I know it's frustrating but when you do a couple of slightly dodgy weather jumps you appreciate why they ground you.... We're heading there Friday night, camping for the whole weekend if you fancied joining us??? The weather is looking much better for the weekend :-D

#3 Brad

Brad
  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson UK, Ramblers Aus.
  • Jumps:>1

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Have a look on the Beccles Fun Jumpers page on FB.
I know weather restrictions are different for students but you'll get an idea of who will be there.

Sadly this is a weather dependant sport, even more so in the early days. It may be a better idea to move to a closer DZ if the cost of fuel is becoming a problem. The BPA website does a comprehensive list (with map) of all UK DZs (if you didn't know already) so maybe have a look on there for somewhere closer and more fitting.

I did my AFF at Beccles too (about 120 miles) and really enjoyed the place and people. This was 2 years ago mind you and I believe the club scene has really developed there. Now I'm going way off topic but reminiscing is fun.

#4 purpletaboofreak

purpletaboofreak
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Ahh I didn't read the Sundays only thing.... Sorry I would keep an eye, give them a call.... The met weather (measured at beccles heliport) is the most accurate, you want up to 17mph winds and at least breaks in the clouds.... Blue skies, hopefully see a there sunday!

#5 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • Jumps:6

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hi Burim88,

I also travel 122 miles each way from South East London. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the sport. But you're better off being down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here.

Its frustrating, but not much we can do about the weather.

At the moment, Sunday is looking ok, but as Brad said, if you call the DZ Saturday evening, or before you leave Sunday morning, they'll be able to give you the best idea of whether it's worth making the journey.

If you'r ever coming up for a whole weekend, you're welcome to come along with Leanna and I and we can all save money and split the petrol.

Also, if you're anywhere near London, this Thursday night, there's a group of us who meet for drinks and talk skydiving. Worth coming along.

Hopefully we'll see you Sunday! (Leanna and I will be there)

~Bryan

#6 Burim88

Burim88
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thx for all the replies, I still can't believe how friendly everyone is through out the sport to everyone esp beginners.

I've got 2 weeks of very soon and id love to come London bound for a Thursday meeting if the offer is still there? Where abouts in London do you all meet?

I'd also would love to camp at the site, what camping gear would I need? Please note, I've never camped before lol so try and mention everything :)

#7 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thx for all the replies, I still can't believe how friendly everyone is through out the sport to everyone esp beginners.

I've got 2 weeks of very soon and id love to come London bound for a Thursday meeting if the offer is still there? Where abouts in London do you all meet?

I'd also would love to camp at the site, what camping gear would I need? Please note, I've never camped before lol so try and mention everything :)

The London Skydiver's Drinks is the last Thursday of every month at the Montagu Pyke, 105-107 Charing Cross Road, WC2H 0BP London.

There's a thread for it here: 
http://www.ukskydive...ydivers +drinks

Also there's a FB page, just search London Skydiver's Drinks.

During AFF I'd recommend just staying in the bunkhouse on site, it's nothing fancy but it's only a £5er a night, and if you're skydiving all weekend you'll appreciate an actual bed, the AFF levels can be exhausting (don't know why, I guess a lot to think about, plus the potentially long walks back carrying heavy student gear, but it gets easier.)

If you want to camp, send us a private message, if we're going that weekend, we can bring an extra tent, or our bigger tent, that has 3 rooms (two 'bedrooms' and a separate room for storage in between them). Save you buying a tent at first, you might decide you hate camping. Other than that, you'll need a Sleeping bag, Airbed+pump, torch... actually that's basically it if you want to go minimal. I take a camp stove, frying pan, cooler bag/box with food for the whole weekend, beers (this is important for most skydiving matters actually), hay-fever tablets... plus obvious stuff that you'd take staying over anywhere, clothes, toiletries (there's a shower, toilet, wash basin etc) and the like.
I know some people take a sleeping mask and ear plugs since a tent offers little sound insulation and the sun will wake you up at stupid o'clock, especially if you're a light sleeper...

I should probably do some work.

#8 Burim88

Burim88
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

AWESOME. I'll be at Beccles pretty much every sunday (unless the weather is really REALLY bad). If i do decide to stay over the weekend then i'll take your advice and stay in the bunk beds for my AFF. Hope to see you all around the drop zone :)

Many thx again

Burim

#9 purpletaboofreak

purpletaboofreak
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Awesome see ya sunday then :-)

Blue skies!

#10 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

It's either travel or go to Headcorn (...and till now I haven't read a good review about headcorn).

Don't read reviews, especially not on dropzone.com. Or if you do, read the dates on them and take them with the hearty pinch of salt they deserve ;)

Go and see it for yourself, make up your own mind! I never jump at Headcorn, it's far from my beaten track - but on my handful of visits I've had nothing but good times.

(+1 on the advice to come to London Skydivers Drinks, it is a good source of all kinds of things - including Headcorn jumpers, sometimes, if we sit really still and don't let them know we are watching.)

#11 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

(+1 on the advice to come to London Skydivers Drinks, it is a good source of all kinds of things - including Headcorn jumpers, sometimes, if we sit really still and don't let them know we are watching.)

Unfortunately, there's only 1-2 Beccles jumpers who attend: myself, and sometimes Leanna  :doh:

#12 Burim88

Burim88
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Don't read reviews, especially not on dropzone.com. Or if you do, read the dates on them and take them with the hearty pinch of salt they deserve ;)

Go and see it for yourself, make up your own mind! I never jump at Headcorn, it's far from my beaten track - but on my handful of visits I've had nothing but good times.

Unfortunately I've had no experience with any of the dropzones in UK (I've done 2 tandems abroad) hence why i just picked 1 out of all the positive reviews (which is Beccles) and I'm really happy with the dropzone over all (apart from the toilets, but i tend to go to the toilets in the cafe so all is good)

Once i get my A Licence, I'll be jumping everywhere in the UK and will be making up my own mind about each dropzone but i have a feeling that i'll be staying with Beccles for a very very long time and make it my main dropzone to jump. 

#13 purpletaboofreak

purpletaboofreak
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yeah we very much intended to move the second we got our a licence but at the end of the day, you get to know everyone at the DZ... The instructors, clubbies etc which adds to te social side as well as helping with your overall progress :-)

#14 AntipodeanLad

AntipodeanLad
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Unfortunately I've had no experience with any of the dropzones in UK (I've done 2 tandems abroad) hence why i just picked 1 out of all the positive reviews (which is Beccles) and I'm really happy with the dropzone over all (apart from the toilets, but i tend to go to the toilets in the cafe so all is good)

Once i get my A Licence, I'll be jumping everywhere in the UK and will be making up my own mind about each dropzone but i have a feeling that i'll be staying with Beccles for a very very long time and make it my main dropzone to jump.

There's also toilets in the bunkhouse which you can use any time. Just gotta get the doorcode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users