15 replies to this topic

#1 kerrydale1888

kerrydale1888
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Home DZ:BK's, Peterlee, SSA
  • Jumps:375

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm looking to replace my old laptop (7yr old Dell) and was wondering if any of you had any advice / recommendations on what's hot, or not?

It doesn't need to have bells and whistles with all the latest gizmos. What I'm looking for is a mid priced, doesn't have to be too fast and have a descent size memory laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have always had excellent luck with Thinkpads (now sold by Lenovo, who used to make them when they were IBM-branded as well). They are a little bit on the expensive side, but you can get lower-spec/less fancy ones for reasonable money (they are configurable at the factory) and they're basically indestructible.

On the downside, they aren't very pretty :P

#3 BASE813

BASE813
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • Home DZ:Various
  • Jumps:1000

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

Depends what your primary use will be... But

I've had good experience with Toshiba, HP, and Dell, for a general run of the mill laptop....

You can get some reasonable priced i3 & i5 processor laptops out there if your not into spec'ing it up.

Also try out Win8 before you decide on the OS.... I went with Win7 on my latest laptop (Alienware), as I thought Win8 was primarily a tablet OS, and I didn't like it at all for my day to day work.

#4 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock / Langar

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Also try out Win8 before you decide on the OS.... I went with Win7 on my latest laptop (Alienware), as I thought Win8 was primarily a tablet OS, and I didn't like it at all for my day to day work.

+1 to the above. I'm not a fan of Win8 either. 

You previous laptop kind of speaks for itself. 7 years isn't a bad life span for a laptop / computer so if that has managed to keep up with your needs up until now, chances are a current, averaged spec laptop will do the same for you for another 7. 

Did that make sense? It read better in my head....

#5 kerrydale1888

kerrydale1888
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

[quoteYou previous laptop kind of speaks for itself. 7 years isn't a bad life span for a laptop / computer so if that has managed to keep up with your needs up until now, chances are a current, averaged spec laptop will do the same for you for another 7.
.[/quote]

We use 2 iPads at home so, the new laptop will mostly be used by my son for school and homework.

Edited by kerrydale1888, 16 November 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#6 kerrydale1888

kerrydale1888
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Looking online I see that PC World also do refurbished laptops. Being a complete technophobe when it comes to such matters, has anyone bought a refurbished laptop and are they worth buying instead of new?

#7 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

You'll only need, by today's standards, a very basic laptop to fulfill those requirements. 

Just seen this (Joel referred to them)..

http://www.pcworld.c...707559-pdt.html

Had a quick look and that seems to be good - would go above and beyond your requirements.

Cheapest one on PC World...

http://www.pcworld.c...707561-pdt.html

That has similar specs to mine - my laptop cost me £760 4 years ago. Still runs very smoothly and is quick enough for basic video editing. Again, certainly high enough spec for internet browsing and homework!

Obviously you can shop around but just wanted to show the kind of specs.

EDIT: Just seen this page too. It's the range of basic laptops Dell have in stock at the mo. If they aren't up to it, you can always build your own with Dell as well. Again though, if your requirements really are only for school work and maybe some internet browsing, the cheapest on this page would suffice!

http://www.dell.com/...2~0~3031577&p=1

Edited by Stevie Coops, 16 November 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#8 kerrydale1888

kerrydale1888
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for that Steve. :-)

#9 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,773 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

What do you want to use it for?
I have a home PC, but my laptop is a Samsung Chromebook and it's great for working and surfing the internet

#10 kerrydale1888

kerrydale1888
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

Like I said in a previous post Nigel, it'll mainly be used by my son for school and homework. I'd also like a fairly decent video editing facility for obvious skydiving reasons.

#11 BASE813

BASE813
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • Home DZ:Various
  • Jumps:1000

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'd also like a fairly decent video editing facility for obvious skydiving reasons.

I'd personally say that changes things....

But in the meantime, from memory, these are good value:

http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk

Caveat: I've not looked into prices and specs for a while though.

Edited by BASE813, 16 November 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#12 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Like I said in a previous post Nigel, it'll mainly be used by my son for school and homework. I'd also like a fairly decent video editing facility for obvious skydiving reasons.

Yeah the video editing does make it a little different. I've not done much editing myself so don't really know the kind of spec to look for. I'll do a bit of research!

#13 Stevie Coops

Stevie Coops
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

OK so I've had a quick look....

The most basic you could do with appears to be something like this....

http://www.pcworld.c...712965-pdt.html

i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD.

Now having a look at a few websites they recommend getting an i7 processor and around 16GB RAM...this would end up looking like this....

http://www.pcworld.c...704908-pdt.html

I have literally only looked on PC World but wanted to show the differences in price.

#14 Anne

Anne
  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Jumps:11

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Don't forget your local supermarket and amazon as reasonably cheap sources but avoid websites offering cheap laptops - if the product's faulty you want a reasonably reliable returns process. Refurb probably isn't worth looking at as specs improve so quickly price for price. Could be worth checking what the other schoolkids have, or asking whether the teachers recommend anything.

Any Windows PC you buy now is likely to have Win 8 on it - pity because it's a real clunker. And whatever you get, put a decent antivirus on it, especially if it's going into the playground environment.

#15 kerrydale1888

kerrydale1888
  • Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, Anne.

It doesn't necessarily have to be too cheap, I'm looking for something with good functionality, easy to use, a reasonable video editing facility and bulletproof for a high school student.

Cheers for the advice, Stuart.

#16 Anne

Anne
  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Jumps:11

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

My last purchases have been Amazon and Waitrose, with Tesco for a printer. The most recent was an Acer, which seems OK apart from having Win 8. I used to get Sony but have gone off them recently as they seem to be a bit quirky. I'm noticing Macs being used more and more in the business environment over the last couple of years, but if the machine's for in school use you would need to check if Mac's are acceptable.