#1 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

OK, so it's a bit late to start this thread, the series is all but over with one dead rubber to play. But I know that UKS has had a cricket nerd population in the past, maybe some of them are still around.

There's a lot of mulling over to do for both sides - much like 3-0 in England earlier, I think 4-0 or 5-0 in Australia flatters the hosts. From our point of view I think there are huge question marks over Watson, Rogers, Smith and (most of all) Bailey, who should be dropped but won't be - I think he knows where the bodies are buried. Warner is a flat-track bully but we are short of alternatives at one and two.

From yours... so many. I think Carberry and Bairstow have been found out, Jimmy needs a holiday, and Cook's captaincy has been questionable for a long time.

Also, why all the rage at KP? He has scored nearly 50% more runs than your next best batsman this tour, was the only England player at the MCG who stood up to Mitchell Johnson, and yet everyone is calling for his head. What's the problem? Is he not carrying the rest of your team far *enough*?

#2 mikeonsea

mikeonsea
  • Verified Instructors
  • 86 posts
  • Home DZ:UK Parachuting Beccles
  • Jumps:1000+

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

It would seem that all England had to do was turn up and they would regain the Ashes (in thier minds anyway), piss poor preperation, and Jeff Boycot said it how it is, I feel sorry for the English fans who have spent good money going over to Aus to watch that dross from England, but Joell its prob only you and I in the skydiving word that follow cricket as well, Hopefully this will be a wake up call for England but I wouldnt bank on it!!

#3 pandamonia

pandamonia
  • Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Cricket isn't a proper sport anyway - it doesn't even have a goal to kick a ball into.

#4 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

"If you can't kill yourself doing it, it's not a sport - it's a game."

#5 pandamonia

pandamonia
  • Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Thats one way of looking at it.

NUFC is a religion of course, as opposed to being involved in a "game" 

#6 aerobirdboy

aerobirdboy
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:51

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Agree with you JC, Australia aren't that good and England ain't that bad. I grew up watching the ashes and I don't think I have ever seen an England team look so weak, mentally speaking. My dad was at  the first test at the Gabba and reckons he's never seen batsmen look so defeated when they were dismissed. Has their delusion of adequacy been shattered by the genuine pace of Johnson and the renewed aggression of the Australia team? I think it might really be that simple. They went to the second test with serious doubt, and had it confirmed in spades.

#7 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

I don't know... the England team of 2006/7 looked mentally as fragile as these guys (remember Harmison's first ball?), but were faced by a much stronger Australian team bent on revenge, and had some justification in looking a bit worried.

It really baffles me how badly the wheels have fallen off in the face of what is still a pretty moderate Aussie group, blessed with very good (although not really all-time great) bowlers and a frankly limited set of batsmen (Clarke aside). The fact that we play Watto at 3 - the slot of Ponting and Boon before him - says a lot about the batting stocks right now :(

#8 aerobirdboy

aerobirdboy
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

I don't remember the 06/07 series so well, but jeez yeah I was just thinking about Boony the other day. LIke you say baffled is the right word, not just by the quality of play but some of the decisions. Whereabouts in OZ you from mate?

#9 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Born in Melbourne, grew up in Adelaide and now live permanently in London (MrsCoaster is English and doesn't fancy living in Oz). Apparently for citizenship you have to support the cricket team so I'm just staying as a permanent resident ;)

(Also, the skydiving here is a lot better.)

[edit: watching highlights from the Adelaide Oval gives me homesickness pangs when very little else does. Go figure...]

#10 aerobirdboy

aerobirdboy
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Haha good on ya, i'm a banana bender but lived in the UK and Isle of Man for ages. Lots of family in Melbourne and my ex is from Toorak Gardens. Used to live in N London myself, nice part of the world that.

Next test 3-7th at the SCG....I think that's a pretty bouncy wicket from memory? I reckon it'll make Johnson an even nastier prospect. Yesss...the long overdue return of bodyline bowling :-)

#11 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

After day 1: Seriously, I think Mitch will get player of the series but no Haddin, no Ashes.