Volosity Freefly Balloon Jump

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamiesmum

jamiesmum
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

Just thought I'd share this one - Jamie and Ricar did a balloon jump in Dubai - they'd only arrived a few hours before and were seriously jet lagged but they had so enjoyed doing it.  I've been amazed since at how few people seem to have done one.  Fortunately they got their C Licences just before they went out so they could film it:  https://vimeo.com/83486722

#2 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,772 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Awesome! Good to see the boys having fun,

For those that don't know, Jamie has been flying in the tunnel since the age of 8, when he turned 16 he came to Empuria with Ricar and some other friends to do AFF in April this year
Since then and in just 8 months the boys have their BPA 'C' license with over 200 jumps each, CH1, CH2, JM1, FF1, FF2, FS1, taken a 'Leading Edge Canopy School' Canopy course, have been jumping their own kit since early days so are more than familiar with their equipment, They also took part in the UK Head up record earlier this year.

Their progression has been much quicker than normal and not everyone will be ready for a jump like this after just 200 jumps

#3 jamiesmum

jamiesmum
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

I wish I could go back and edit this - they had slept an entire night before this, as well as sleeping on the plane on the way over and with the time difference they were actually awake long before and at the DZ waiting for the jump to go ahead, their landing was spot on accurate (I have footage somewhere), they were jumping their own kit, which they are very used to which had just been professionally repacked and checked for the trip, and there aren't many hazards out in the desert anyway if they had landed off (not that Jamie has ever landed off).  

#4 Anne

Anne
  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Jumps:11

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

That's spectacular - sunrise?

#5 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

I can't get over how quiet it is up there. The first half of that video gives me tingles.

I've never even been in a balloon, let alone jumped out of one. But on the bucket list? Oh yeah.

#6 jamiesmum

jamiesmum
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

they went back and did another one the next morning and they're heading back to Dubai for February half term and hope to do some more then - Jamie said it was the best jump he's ever done, despite not having a lot of freefall time

#7 Dazzle

Dazzle
  • Members
  • 761 posts
  • Home DZ:Hib, Langar
  • Jumps:3000

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I can't get over how quiet it is up there. The first half of that video gives me tingles.

I've never even been in a balloon, let alone jumped out of one. But on the bucket list? Oh yeah.

I've done both and they are quite different. Jumped from Eloy's balloon, very still morning so we stayed over the dz, landed back on. Did a balloon ride with Sarah and her dad and it was very different. Suprising how controllable they are. very calm and gentle while you're up, just drifting with the wind so there is zero wind noise. Very easy to hear people on the ground (we were told not to reply to them as voices carry a long way and other people get confused.) Odd spending so much time so low, effortlessly being *just* above the tree tops. Landing was fun - the pilot pointed out the field he was going to go for from about 1/2 a mile away, he went for the next one at the last minute. Even with the late change it wasn't bad at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Volosity Freefly, Balloon Jump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users