6 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Kelleher

Jason Kelleher
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • Home DZ:All over
  • Jumps:800

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

So I've been thinking recently... (uh oh...)

I don't get how an hour of windtunnel can be so demanding!

Both physically, and mentally.

Why is it that I ache so much the next morning, and can compute so little in my head that evening?

After all (forgive my deliberate feigned-ignorance) "it is just falling"!

Any thoughts?

x

#2 dang

dang
  • Members
  • 219 posts
  • Home DZ:nethers
  • Jumps:27

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

well. I guess it's the equivilant of 60 skydives in quick succession. unless you're an Olympic athlete, I think we'd all be a little knackeredp

#3 chrisjudd

chrisjudd
  • Members
  • 329 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

It's just a different type of exercise that your body's not used to. Get tunnel-current, do an hour every week this season, you'll soon stop aching the day after :thumbs:

#4 Craig

Craig

UKS Verified Instructor & Council 2016

• Verified Instructors
  • 2,647 posts
  • Home DZ:Chatteris
  • Jumps:4500

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Jason doesn't strike me as a person whose body is used to ANY type of exercise :P

Also, people (me especially) don't warm up and cool down enough either.

As for the mental part, it is a lot of concentration, especially with slot switchers. 

#5 Jason Kelleher

Jason Kelleher
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • Home DZ:All over
  • Jumps:800

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

It's just a different type of exercise that your body's not used to. Get tunnel-current, do an hour every week this season, you'll soon stop aching the day after :thumbs:

well. I guess it's the equivilant of 60 skydives in quick succession. unless you're an Olympic athlete, I think we'd all be a little knackeredp

Both very true :)

But how do I explain that to my whuffo colleagues - I was hoping for something more medical, like "You're using the x y and z muscles which normally don't do anything"...

Jason doesn't strike me as a person whose body is used to ANY type of exercise :P

Also, people (me especially) don't warm up and cool down enough either.

As for the mental part, it is a lot of concentration, especially with slot switchers. 

AHEM! I walk to the station in the morning I'll have you know :P (way to score an own-goal...)

Warm up and cool down is a good point!

#6 Skykitten

Skykitten
  • Verified Instructors
  • 575 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:1500

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm not techincal so can't help with the XYZ muscles thing (am sure there are some physios on here who could explain) but I think the reason we ache when we're not tunnel fit is that we're continually having to push down onto the air which is being pushed up at us to fly our bodies and make changes in position which is different from skydiving in that in freefall we're using gravity. Of course muscles are required in skydiving too but not to the same extent.

I can tell that I've left it too long between tunnel trips by how much I ache the day after and the day after that which is worse due to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).

As Chris says, the happy solution, not that you asked for one, is more tunnel more regularly! Yay!

#7 buzz

buzz

UKS Verified Instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 4,171 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock
  • Jumps:3000+

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

HTFU Jason ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users