5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Grant

Michael Grant
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Jumps:0

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

Greetings, group.

I'm gearing up to do my first jump, a tandem jump, and am looking into insurance.  The BPA website says I should shop around, and also that one should go for £2m+ maximum cover.

So far I've had a look at a few insurers online (sky-cover.co.uk, skylineparachuting.co.uk, parachutingcover.com, plus sportscoverdirect.com, which I can't make head or tail of, and a few sites which only seem to cover parachuting as part of travel insurance, irrelevantly for me as I'm jumping in the UK), and they all seem fairly much of a muchness.  The only one which had any form of cover in excess of £1m was the sky-cover.co.uk, which lists "optional medical expenses £10m" (but other coverages were a bit less).

Well, I can research until the cows come home, but a personal recommendation can also be useful.  Which companies have you, o group members, used for tandem jump insurance, and would you recommend them?

Thanks,

Michael

#2 James

James

Former UKS Administrator

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:500+

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Try AIB and mention UKS to get a discounted rate

#3 Chris Smith

Chris Smith
  • Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

i maybe missing something, but what is the P6 insurance  (if thats what its called these days) for? if not insuring a Tandem "student"? The other links are for qualified jumpers for personal insurance.I'm more than likely totally wrong, just asking. :-)

#4 James

James

Former UKS Administrator

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:500+

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

My bad - I had assumed that we are talking about personal accident / injury insurance rather than third party liability insurance.

#5 SamLee

SamLee

BCPA Council

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:940

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hi Michael,

Just to clarify what the other posters have stated - all Tandem jumps in the UK include 'student' membership of the British Parachute Association, and include a small fee which pays for 3rd party liability insurance. I.e. if you were to inadvertently injure your instructor, or drop something which causes damage to someone else's property during your jump, this would be covered by this insurance.

If you want medical or life assurance cover then you do need to buy this separately, and all of those companies you listed will probably provide a good level of cover, but most skydivers that use this site wont have a comparison to make as we either don't have insurance like that, or have different insurance which is needed to cover multiple jumps etc. 

Hope that helps!

Sam

#6 Michael Grant

Michael Grant
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Jumps:0

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for your response, Sam.  I was indeed talking about personal accident/injury insurance, and was aware the BPA student membership covered third party insurance.  I posted in this forum in particular because I assumed that, it being about tandem jumps in particular, people doing tandem jumps were likely to be first-time jumpers like myself (or instructors).

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users