• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CharlotteP

CharlotteP
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hi everyone,

After trawling the internet for information on dive sites in the UK I thought why not ask people who are passionate about skydiving to get some honest opinions!

I have been lucky enough to bungee in the UK and tandem skydive in New Zealand and would love my partner to feel the exhilaration of a skydive too!

He has done a fair bit of paragliding in Morocco and even though they carry a different type of thrill, I know this will be up his street.

It is his 30th birthday on new years day and so I would like to give him a voucher for a dive at the best location in the UK (ideally England or Wales).

So I would really really appreciate some advice on where you guys consider to be the most picturesque place to dive? 

On the flip side, anywhere to avoid!  

Thank you very much and can't wait to hear some suggestions!

Charlotte 

#2 pandamonia

pandamonia
  • Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Hi, im not aware of anywhere to avoid?

As to where to jump - where in the UK are you located?

#3 onfire

onfire
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:>500

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:39 AM

Northwest Skydive has a great location, over Morecambe bay with views into the Lake district. Always nice to have some scenery on the trip up to altitude. 

#4 SkydiveAcademy

SkydiveAcademy
  • Members
  • 992 posts
  • Home DZ:Peterlee
  • Jumps:3500

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

I would advise going to your nearest Parachute Training Organisation - if you follow this link you can see where they are all located and then access details of each one http://www.bpa.org.u...ere-can-i-jump/

#5 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,073 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser but based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:1950

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

If I was in your situation...

- Anywhere you can jump from 15k (rather than 12, 10 or sometimes 8). Having said that, some of the most picturesque DZs have smaller planes so the ride to altitude will allow better sight seeing. 

- It sounds like your partner is interested in aviation sports so I'd choose a DZ that also caters for Sport jumpers (not just tandems). This will go some way to explaining how our sport can become an obsession rather than if it's treated like a one-off experience like a rollercoaster ride. There's so much to our sport, so many disciplines, so many skills, if you think a tandem is all there is you don't really understand.

#6 eightwayliz

eightwayliz

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Beautiful coastal views include Cark, Cornwall and Swansea - all details available on that BPA link further up the thread.

#7 Pea

Pea
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

I did my first tandem at Hinton and I would highly recommend if it's not too far from you - I hope to do my AFF there and make it my home DZ. Seemed very friendly, well organised - really couldn't complain (although I don't have anything else to compare to in fairness). I jumped with Dave Luke, he was a star.

Edited by Pea, 26 November 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#8 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,073 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser but based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:1950

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

(rather than 12, 10 or sometimes 8).

That's not supposed to be a 8) but "8 )"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users