12 replies to this topic

#1 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

Ive read a few different things about buying new containers, and from what i think ive picked up, the cheapest way is to have them shipped to somewhere in america, and then somehow brought over. Is this right? If i knew someone in Miami, would this be the best (cheapest) way for me to buy new?

#2 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

If the manufacturer is based in the US, then yes. UK dealers can give the non-imported, VAT and duty free price to get it shipped to the US, as well as US dealers. 

That's how I got my first two containers that I bought new - getting them into the country under the radar!

#3 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,817 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:1200

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:02 PM

Ive read a few different things about buying new containers, and from what i think ive picked up, the cheapest way is to have them shipped to somewhere in america, and then somehow brought over. Is this right? If i knew someone in Miami, would this be the best (cheapest) way for me to buy new?

This is the cheapest way, but it's also technically illegal. You are supposed to pay tax and duty on new goods purchased overseas.

Is it very common? Sure. Hard to get caught? Also that - people travel with skydiving kit all the time. But be aware of your tax and duty obligations and travel with your eyes open.

#4 Colin

Colin

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:48 AM

Nothing "technically" about it. It's illegal and the fact that some people do it doesn't make it any more legal.

#5 CReWdog

CReWdog
  • Members
  • 240 posts
  • Home DZ:Brid

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

The question you've gotta ask yourself is "Do I feel lucky?". Sure, you could get stopped at customs on the way back but chances of that are small. If you do get stopped you'll stand a better chance of getting through if your new container is actually packed for use with servicible parachutes inside. Rock up with it in a box with UPT or SunPath all over it & you'll probably get bent over & made to pay the duty & possibly a compound penalty for trying to evade said duty if you're stopped.

If you are stopped Mr C&E will more than likely want to know how long you've had it & might want proof.They can & do, comfiscate goods until such proof is provided. Bit difficult to explain away the recent D.O.M on the big orange label on the outside!

I know this stuff because the Mrs is retired C&E.

Good luck dude, just be careful & have your story well prepared just in case.

Mick

#6 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:14 AM

I was thinking about it, as my sisters now living in miami, and is coming home at xmas. i assume the same duty and tax 'laws' would still be the same if it was paid for by her, then brought over as a 'gift' if she was to be stopped with it?

#7 shorehambeach

shorehambeach
  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

Gifts cannot be over £390.00....

a 2 second search gives me your full name and address 

The HMRC search forums (like this and ebay) 

and a further second gave me your sisters job location employer 

Good luck with that.  :thumbs:

Edited by shorehambeach, 20 September 2016 - 08:25 AM.

#8 PilotRMK

PilotRMK
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Home DZ:Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:650

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:51 PM

1) don't come onto public forum and ask how to do this

2) purchase rig and have it delivered/assembled by shop in US

3) go there; jump it

4) post yourself the real receipts back to the UK; have rigger/shop give you separate receipt for repair/check/repack to have on your person

5) come back home, with your rig, and sleep like a baby content with your savings

#9 p.d

p.d
  • Members
  • 161 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:3000

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

or just pay the appropriate tax and duty, or buy from a UK or EU manufacturer and likewise pay the tax, and sleep even more like a baby. Just a thought ...

#10 Donna J

Donna J
  • Members
  • 603 posts
  • Home DZ:Usually found at Dunkeswell or Netheravon and Airkix Basingstoke, occasionally ventures north to Langar
  • Jumps:450+

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

1) don't come onto public forum and ask how to do this

Kinda the biggest point here, this isn't the place to ask this (FB post to your profile would have been better, and could have been deleted after).

Just a further note that you might not be aware of, should you choose to take the rig, and then it needs to go back out to the USA for repairs/adjustments, on it's return, HMRC can ask to see the original confirmation that VAT was paid long after the item, its not often they do from what I can tell, usually they just ask for proof it left the UK for the repair before they'll release it to you, but it is something they can ask if they suspect foul play.

#11 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,161 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

this isn't the place to ask this

All skydiving related questions are welcome here. I'd like UK-S to be a place where anyone can post questions without people jumping on them and criticising the person asking the question. 

In skydiving, the only stupid question is the one not asked for fear of losing face. We should be encouraging people to ask questions.

Of course, we want people to think through the scenario themselves first without just relying on others to supply an answer. We have a duty to teach personal responsibility.

Imagine if Digidude hadn't asked this question, bought a rig abroad, brought it home and was picked up by customs and charged the extra 27% (approx). *That* would be stupid. Luckily he's now been educated by the UK-S community that he should avoid illegal activities. Thank you to everyone who posted. :-)

#12 shorehambeach

shorehambeach
  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

👆😀

#13 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies (and PMs). I was asking as I had heard of, and read about, people doing this, but, i honestly didnt even think about the tax / duty dodging side of it, or i wouldnt have openly asked about it, oops, lol

with the sort of luck that i have (if it wasnt for bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all) ill leave it for a bit and go through the proper channels, as tbh, if i got a container around xmas time, itd be rushed and banged onto a credit card, so in the long run, i wouldnt end up actually saving anything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users