Gear sales.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Celestin

Celestin
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

As a nearly qualified student I am starting to look for my own rig to get a general idea of cost and also to learn about all the differences available.
Obviously I will get on club gear and downsize but I often come on here to get an idea of cost so I can get saving.
Unfortunately there never seems to be much activity on here even compared to a few Facebook pages and I'm wondering firstly if anyone has an idea of how many people are on this site and secondly why the kit sales section is so quiet and lastly other than the two sites stated and my local DZ, where else (if anywhere) is a good place to look for a used first rig??
Thanks guys.

#2 buzz

buzz

UKS Verified Instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 4,169 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock
  • Jumps:3000+

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

As a nearly qualified student, you shouldn't me thinking about buying your own rig, speak to your CI/instructor and ask them what they think is a good progression for you.

Buying your first set of kit, second hand, through forums/facebook is a tricky task, and you are more likely to buy unsuitable or overpriced kit than if you speak to the people at your DZ who's job/reputation depends on them knowing their shit.

A couple of words of warning, don't buy that "ideal starter rig" it probably isn't, take any advice given to you buy someone who just so happens to have the ideal set of kit for you, with a pinch of salt, and run any potential purchases past your CI, you don't want to pay good money for a set of kit they won't let you jump.

As for cost price, look at the sale price of each item individually and deduct £100 for each year and £1 per jump, then adjust as necessary for wear and tear, and scheduled maintenance, such as line sets and AAD servicing.

Do not for fxxxs sake pay more that £250 for a Sabre of any age ;-)

#3 Celestin

Celestin
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Buzz, as I said I will be using club kit till I get down to about a 170 which I have been told would be ideal and a good place to start.
I have a couple of people (1 a rigger at our DZ and the other an AFF instructor) to help me decide what to get.
I'm not going to rush out and buy one and it will be at least a year till I even start seriously looking with intent to buy but in the meantime I am looking and learning what's what and how much things are.
The method you stated of minusing so much per year and so much per jump is that your opinion or is that a standard in the sport??

#4 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,117 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hi Celestine, we've made a few changes to the sales function of this site but we've made a mistake with visibility so that has negatively affected traffic. We need to correct that. Thanks for the reminder. Brian

#5 andrewhilton

andrewhilton

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

Did you ever fix visibility? I posted and paid for an ad and its nowhere to be seen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users