4 replies to this topic

#1 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

After going to the video and camera presentation at the 2015 expo, and approaching my C license at the time, i started looking at cameras. On the recommendation of the guy who did the presentation (whos name i forget, im useless with names, so if i ever remember yours, youre honoured lol), i got the SJcam 5000. Identical specs as the highest spec gopro at the time (i think it was the hero4), but a better quality lense.

The picture quality is amazing, and im more than happy with it for what i paid for it

But

the battery life seems to really suck

Yesterday during 3 jumps i went through 3 batteries, and recorded a total of 22 seconds of footage of the back of someones head as the door was being opened

all of these batteries were fully charged about 2 weeks ago

I had even bought 2 higher capacity batteries and a seperate charger, as have suspected for a while the batteries are up to something, and my next plan is fo fully charge every one the night before jumping to see how they fare

If they let me down next time, im going to be looking at getting a new camera, but, i dont want to spend a fortune. I know gopro released a £99 camera about a year ago, i can find results about it in google, but nowhere selling it, does anyone know anything about these cameras

Or, could anyone recommend something for around £100, with good battery life, or do you think its possible that i just have 2 packs of naff batteries for my current camera?

Edited by digidude, 18 April 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#2 Scotty

Scotty

Ally Milne's Dad

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Home DZ:World Wide
  • Jumps:10000

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

I use the basic GoPro, the cheaper model which is £96 (or was) in UK and the same $ price if you buy it in the US.  The quality is still terrific and battery lasts at least all day.  After having lost a couple of the expensive Black models being kicked off by spinning students I find top quality video which I also take stills from at the lowest price.

Good luck mate.

#3 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

While looking for one of the £99 gopros, i came across one of these

https://shop.gopro.c.../CHDNH-B10.html

Being sold for £49.99, they are selling about 40 of them.

Itll probably turn out to be a con, but i used paypal so will get refunded. But, if its not a con, then its a bargain

#4 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

The Sony HDR-AZ1 is pretty small, takes good quality video and has a decent for a tiny action cam battery life - approx. 2 hours from fully charged. 

Or any of the other sonys the AS300, 200 or 100 being the splash proof ones that give very good video quality results at 1080p, or the x3000 or x1000 for 4K. All have decent, not amazing, but decent battery life, but will depend on what settings recording mode etc you use.

All are micro usb chargeable.

Different form factor to the GoPro style though... 

So specirfic to your circa £100 request, the AZ1 can be got for under that, although not sure if that will be with the remote you really need to change the settings...

The others probably are increasing from just under £100 as you go up the range. 

I have an AS200 and an AZ1 in my set up, although not jumped them much as my first jump with them was my little accident jump that I'm still recovering from!!

Edited by degeneration, 19 April 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#5 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,772 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

I use the Sony's too, if the GPS and Wifi are off the battery lasts ages, and with a 128gb memory stick in it, it's ready whenever I am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users