11 replies to this topic

#1 Jus

Jus
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Home DZ:Netheravon

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Hi All,

Just starting out and looking to buy my first altimeter .. I'm looking at the Altitrack as I'd like to record the data for my jumps ... Any advice on whether it's a good choice and alternatives would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jus

#2 Jason Kelleher

Jason Kelleher
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • Home DZ:All over
  • Jumps:800

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

Mandatory "I'm not an instructor" disclaimer. I'm not.

From what I've seen, altitracks are great. I've known a handful of people who buy them as their first alti and they all seemed very happy!

That said, I didn't buy one myself (and never will), reasons below:

For simplicity, I'm going to ignore the "Used" / "2nd hand" market for a minute.

An altitrack costs approx £300 new.

At some point in your skydiving career you will (probably) want an audible altimeter (e.g. Solo/Optima/Protrack). The cheapest "new" one of these is approx £150.

Total cost you've spent on one visual and one audible is approx £450

Alternately - you could buy an Alti Galaxy (just a visual altimeter) - approx £110 new

and get a Protrack2 for approx £260 new - which has an equivalent log function (although not identical to the altitrack) and is also an audible.

Total cost you've spent on one visual and one audible is approx £370 (total saving: approx £80 for similar functionality)

The second option also means you have flexibility to change to a digital visual altimeter (e.g. Neptune/Viso) without having a v.expensive bit of kit sat around doing nothing.

If you look at the second hand market, you can find some bargains out there - and this could obviously offset the saving - but that works both ways, and I don't see many Altitracks going up for sale 2nd hand. I'm not sure why this is.

That said, it's a sport full of opinions and views. None of them are wrong. Just work out which one you're going to go with and see if you got it right :)

For info, I currently own a Protrack2, Viso2 and Alti Galaxy. I've literally just sold a Protrack1 and Optima2. I've historically owned a Neptune and at one point I had something called a "Time Out" audible - which I wouldn't recommend for anyone.

Edited by Jason Kelleher , 10 May 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#3 Jus

Jus
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply

I'll take your advice on this one ... I think I'll go for the Galaxy for my visual alti and get an audible one as well ... Have been looking at them and from what I can see only the Protrack(II) record data ... The cheaper options (Optima II, Quattro) don't have that functionality ... Are there any others that you know of that record data ?

You mentioned the 2nd hand market ... where is it ?? :-) ... I can't find many 2nd hand sites ... I'm starting on a bit of a budget as I've made the decision so quickly to get into it ... Oh not to mention I have 6 kids which drain me of most of my money :-)

Thanks again for your reply ... Much appreciated

Jus

#4 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,767 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

Try the L&B Stella

#5 Jason Kelleher

Jason Kelleher
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • Home DZ:All over
  • Jumps:800

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

Protrack2 and Protrack1 record data. The others don't.

I do like (at a brief look) the idea of the Stella - may be worth checking out!

Search "UK Skydiving Gear for Sale & Wanted" on Facebook. There are others, but I think that's generally the best UK one.

J

#6 Jus

Jus
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Nigel I'll check it out

Thanks again Jason

#7 daven

daven
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Jumps:94

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

https://www.facebook...23922417715047/

caveat emptor naturally but you get some good stuff.

#8 Jus

Jus
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thanks daven ... have joined

#9 Burim88

Burim88
  • Members
  • 90 posts
  • Home DZ:Chatteris
  • Jumps:600+

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

6 kids and you're able to afford jumping... Respect.

#10 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

Im not anything close to an instructor, just a fun jumper

I have a protrack that i bought that has had a few owners, got it for about £65 as the LCD has a break in the corner meaning a small section of the display cannot be read, but the data recording is fine and all shows up on a PC. Keeping an eye for bargains like this is worth it

iv also just bought an AON2 pebble, brand new at £65. It has multiple user set alarms, but at the moment, only logs number of jumps, but the software is still being developed, ill be trying this out today as it only arrived yesterday

most of my gear has come from the uk skydiver gear for sale page, and this forums sales section

#11 Jus

Jus
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Hi Burim88 ... Well the jumps won't be racking up too quickly cause I'll be limited to the number I can do each month but I'm determined to do it :-) ... I did my tandem at Chatteris ... that's what got me hooked !

#12 Jus

Jus
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hi Digidude ... Yeh I'm keeping my eye out for bargains on the Facebook page ... Did get myself a Protrack the other day for £130 ... looks in pretty good nik ... Just looking for a Galaxy now

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AFF student

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users