Anyone still here ? Site is like a ghost town

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 shorehambeach

shorehambeach
  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

A few posts a month - what happened to this site ?

#2 Lloyd Quenby

Lloyd Quenby

UKS Verified Instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 452 posts
  • Home DZ:Chatteris
  • Jumps:11000

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

new owners

#3 Inkfreak69

Inkfreak69
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

Yep as soon as it changed hands it's seems to have died!

#4 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Facebook has taken over, people ask questions and gets answers immediately 

#5 Lloyd Quenby

Lloyd Quenby

UKS Verified Instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

tbh, it went downhill as soon as Stu sold it.

#6 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

facebook has seen the majority of forums lose most of their traffic. theres groups for EVERYTHING, and if someone doesnt like something someone says in a group, then they simply make their own, and people then float between groups, or end up in loads of similar ones

even if the forum had something unique, itd be copied

its how online communities are evolving

#7 shorehambeach

shorehambeach
  • Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

Off to Facebook then 🤣🤣🤣

#8 skydog

skydog

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
  • Jumps:9000

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

The guys before the current owners completely ruined it.........

#9 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

to be fair, ive worked on forums approaching 2 billion hits, with 100k+ members, and a large admin and mod team, and have been giving my time for free doing this for nearly 20 years. while an admin team can indeed destroy a forum, its normally run smoothly, or ruined, by the actual members themselfs

its a hard and thankless job administrating or moderating on a forum, and, no matter what you do, someone will always be unhappy with the decisions made

#10 Kel

Kel
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:500

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

If you look back, I think it was more dead than this further in the past, if anything, the site is seeing a slight revival now since Brian and Jack took it over. It's hard with facebook being the preferred choice for most people these days.

If anyone has suggestions on how to encourage more usage of this, I'm sure they'd love to hear any ideas. 

#11 Lloyd Quenby

Lloyd Quenby

UKS Verified Instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

even the owner dont log in.

BlueSkyBri Last Active Jun 06 2017 01:57 PM

;-)

#12 Alex B

Alex B
  • Members
  • 206 posts
  • Home DZ:HINTON / SEVILLE
  • Jumps:Some

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

I do miss the posts. 

Not a facebook fan, I used to enjoy lunchtime reading on here....

#13 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hahaha yeah, I've been a busy little bunny and so has Jack. We've got plans to sit down and discuss next steps. We see this as a serious resource for the UK Skydiver. Previously, fb didn't have a search facility so it was pointless, everyone would just ask the same question over and over. Now, annoyingly, they do have a search facility.

I even looked at creating a UKS facebook group. Except one with the same name exists already. I need to research who the admins are still and see if it should really belong to us. 

And if we can 'own' it, should we use it? and even, how should we use it?

#14 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

Can't you claim it as your 'intellectual property' ??

#15 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

That would be the idea. 

#16 Jack Bradford

Jack Bradford

BPA Council 2016

• Administrators
  • 448 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:1700

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

If you look back, I think it was more dead than this further in the past, if anything, the site is seeing a slight revival now since Brian and Jack took it over. It's hard with facebook being the preferred choice for most people these days.

If anyone has suggestions on how to encourage more usage of this, I'm sure they'd love to hear any ideas. 

We've got quite a few ideas to work on, but always keen to hear ideas from anyone. Unfortunately both of us working full time in the sport makes it difficult to inject lots of time into it at this time of year!

#17 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

What he said.

#18 Jason Kelleher

Jason Kelleher
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • Home DZ:All over
  • Jumps:800

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

I would love to see independent gear reviews by someone who has no agenda/sponsorship.

Kinda like you get for cars, bikes, all the other expensive kit you buy these days.

Someone who doesn't mind saying an Epicene (canopy) is great on opening but dogshit in-flight and you'll need to F*** around to get the brake lines the right length (for the record, all of that is true :P).

Someone who doesn't mind saying a Solo is probably good enough but you'll no doubt want a little bit more from your audibles in the future... Sure, it's subjective, but a level benchmark would be great rather than just reviews from people who bought the gear, so want to pretend it's a good investment for themselves (I call this the investment-blinding effect), or people who have an agenda/sponsorship/good PR team.

Of course, I would suggest in time every manufacturer might wish to send their gear to such a person as a demo to ensure they received appropriate praise/marketing for all their hard work and energy.

Just a thought...

Edited by Jason Kelleher , 29 June 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#19 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

you can get forum 'apps' that will automagically post to facebook from the forum, i use a similar bit of software on my blogs, so when i post anything on my blogs, its also posted on both facebook and twitter on the relevant page (my skydiving blog posts as me directly on my own personal facebook profile, but a technology blog i run, posts on its own page, posting as the page itself) , along with a link back to the blog.

if people comment in the 'thread' on facebook, it can be set to import back into the blog, and if people click like on facebook, or retweet etc, that also shows on the blog

this way you can have a busy forum, and / or a busy facebook presence, and they will interact with each other

you should be able to take ownership of the facebook page by sending them proof of ownership of the domain for the forum

#20 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

I would love to see independent gear reviews by someone who has no agenda/sponsorship.

Kinda like you get for cars, bikes, all the other expensive kit you buy these days.

Someone who doesn't mind saying an Epicene (canopy) is great on opening but dogshit in-flight and you'll need to F*** around to get the brake lines the right length (for the record, all of that is true :P).

Someone who doesn't mind saying a Solo is probably good enough but you'll no doubt want a little bit more from your audibles in the future... Sure, it's subjective, but a level benchmark would be great rather than just reviews from people who bought the gear, so want to pretend it's a good investment for themselves (I call this the investment-blinding effect), or people who have an agenda/sponsorship/good PR team.

Of course, I would suggest in time every manufacturer might wish to send their gear to such a person as a demo to ensure they received appropriate praise/marketing for all their hard work and energy.

Just a thought...

I do like this. Although I think crowd sourcing reviews is a better indication of what people think. It's hard though to get a feel for someone's frame of reference. Eg someone downsizing to a 135 7cell canopy may find it "amazing to swoop" but their last canopy may have been a 150, for example. I think we'd need to know what experience they had.

Eg how many jumps have you on that Epicene? What prior canopy experience do you have? etc

I suggested something similar to crowd sourcing reviews a long time back to Lesley when she was editor of Skydive the Mag. I wonder if there's a quick way to find that post. Hmmm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users