- - - - -

Anyone still here ? Site is like a ghost town

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,117 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

you can get forum 'apps' that will automagically post to facebook from the forum, i use a similar bit of software on my blogs, so when i post anything on my blogs, its also posted on both facebook and twitter on the relevant page (my skydiving blog posts as me directly on my own personal facebook profile, but a technology blog i run, posts on its own page, posting as the page itself) , along with a link back to the blog.

if people comment in the 'thread' on facebook, it can be set to import back into the blog, and if people click like on facebook, or retweet etc, that also shows on the blog

this way you can have a busy forum, and / or a busy facebook presence, and they will interact with each other

you should be able to take ownership of the facebook page by sending them proof of ownership of the domain for the forum

Oh, interesting! Jack and I should look into that. Tomorrow. :-)

#22 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Oh, interesting! Jack and I should look into that. Tomorrow. :-)

this is from a very quick google search

https://invisioncomm...hare-on-posting

there are a LOT more of these 'app' type things for different forum softwares, the most popular being xenforo and vbulletin

Edited by digidude, 05 July 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#23 digidude

digidude
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Swansea
  • Jumps:247&½

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

https://invisioncomm...witterfacebook/

if you setup forum RSS export ability, you can also use existing 3rd party abilities to 'copy' the forum ti facebook and twitter, with links back to the forum

#24 Jason Kelleher

Jason Kelleher
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • Home DZ:All over
  • Jumps:800

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

I do like this. Although I think crowd sourcing reviews is a better indication of what people think. It's hard though to get a feel for someone's frame of reference. Eg someone downsizing to a 135 7cell canopy may find it "amazing to swoop" but their last canopy may have been a 150, for example. I think we'd need to know what experience they had.

Eg how many jumps have you on that Epicene? What prior canopy experience do you have? etc

I suggested something similar to crowd sourcing reviews a long time back to Lesley when she was editor of Skydive the Mag. I wonder if there's a quick way to find that post. Hmmm.

We disagree on the crowd sourcing ;-) I think most skydivers are blinded by their investments so vastly give positive reviews without having tried much else (e.g. everyone I've heard from who owns one loves an SWS Fire, but when I talk to riggers who don't own them they're generally a little more sceptical). Perhaps people are also afraid to air constructive (or negative) views for other reasons? I don't think there's enough "calling it how it is" in skydiving.

I would get a dedicated (known history) group - perhaps 5 people, one with 50 jumps, one with 100, one with 200, one with 500 and one with 1000+ to each give their independent view on a bit of kit - then you've got a range of views based on hopefully pre-defined scoring criteria. The idea would be that people would trust that group to represent a section of active jumpers - and to provide their feedback on a level playing field.

For example, if you crowd sourced reviews of McDonalds - you would get a range of views from the drunken fool (me) saying "It's awesome!" to the vegetarian saying "It doesn't really have anything for me" - but with no perspective of what their view entails, and no idea whether it's a quality restaurant for your third date with a new girlfriend  :P

The idea isn't that this replaces crowd sourced reviews - just... compliments it... y'know... symbiotically  :thumbs:

Epicene - I have 8 jumps on one - so no, I'm not qualified to make that judgement from a "non-crowd sourced" perspective. But first impressions count, and I can tell you some of the people with hundreds of jumps on them are Squirrel Fan-boys who will worship the ground underneath their sponsor's feet - which makes their view as equally invalid as my own, no?

I have 930-ish jumps (I think a little more than that) - of which most are on Safire 2s, Sabre 1s, Spectres etc. ranging from 170-119. I have (say) 75 jumps on 190+ canopies as well, but I didn't have a clue what "flying" meant back then. It was more controlled stoofing it in ;)

For canopies, I would suggest 10-20 jumps before a review could be made. For containers, that could be hundreds before you really see how well it's holding up to wear/stretching etc.

p.s. I'm not saying I should be one of the people to do these reviews. I'm too verbose, and too cynical  :thumbs:

#25 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,117 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:06 PM

Roy WJ pulls no punches on gear reviews. Maybe we should invite him along. 

Jason - What do you suggest we review first?

#26 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,767 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

Wouldn't trust Roy!!

Bruno was holding a CF card the other day and Roy said 'What's that??'  :shock:

hahaha, talk about making me feel old!!

#27 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

Bruno was holding a CF card the other day and Roy said 'What's that??'  :shock:

What's a canopy formation card? ;-)

#28 Jason Kelleher

Jason Kelleher
  • Members
  • 1,855 posts
  • Home DZ:All over
  • Jumps:800

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Jason - What do you suggest we review first?

Something simple/easy until you're clearer on what is happening.

Probably visual non-digital altis (i.e. Alti2/Alti2Galaxy/Whatever other models exist)

#29 vincenzo57

vincenzo57
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell , Empuriabrava, Seville
  • Jumps:207

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

well I'm back anyway. Nothing to post though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users