4 replies to this topic

#1 aevans692

aevans692
  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • Home DZ:Headcorn

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Hi everyone ..  

As my C licence is approaching , I was hoping to fit a cam , to me G3  , I have already taken care of the cutaway so now just looking for the best way in mounting a go pro ... 

Im sure this has been posted to death , but I have seen people mounting their go pro in loads of ways , so just using the sticky pads , have seen some bolted ones, riveted ...   I don't  really want to wreck my g3 so thought it would be best to ask what works best and your experiences ...  

Thanks all ,,, much appreciated ..  

#2 onfire

onfire
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:>500

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

I've only ever used a Grell Fab mount. It fits on the front of the G3 vent, via a 3D printed back for the GoPro and secured in place by a release thing and 2 small rubber bands. It's a bit of a pain to put on, but once you have it one, you don't really need to remove it (other than the wind tunnel). It's very secure, you can knock it around, but it's not going anywhere. Unless you pull the release. Perfect for FS I find.

#3 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

I like my Grellfab chin mount tbh. (I use a Kiss full face). It's not perfect. But being tall I'm forever banging my head on the plane when I have a camera up there. I've never hit my chin on the plane.

Pros

- you can see its on

- out of the way

- if banged, you can see it's pointing in the right direction

- cutaway built in. Plus you get to keep the head protection for landing.

- attachment doesn't damage the helmet

Cons

- on a Kiss it sticks out so you look a bit like the Alien

- it's a real pain to continually take on and off (I use another full face for tunnel)

- Looking hard left or right under canopy, I occasionally catch my risers with it

- working jumps... it's more likely to be hit by an AFF student on deployment

If you have a cutaway already, and you weren't interested in a chin mount, I'd consider just sticking it to your lid on the top. I wouldn't bother with bolts and drilling holes. 

#4 Jack Bradford

Jack Bradford

BPA Council 2016

• Administrators
  • 448 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:1700

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

Cons

- it's a real pain to continually take on and off (I use another full face for tunnel)

Put a small screwdriver in your kit bag, re-doing the cutaway system is a pain, but undoing the screws and taking the whole thing off is much quicker and easier

#5 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Put a small screwdriver in your kit bag, re-doing the cutaway system is a pain, but undoing the screws and taking the whole thing off is much quicker and easier

That's true, I like your thinking. I actually carry the right screwdriver for audible battery changes, however I worry about self tappers into plastic being done and undone. 

While I have two helmets, it's all good. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users