- - - - -

"Will you teach me to BASE?"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,161 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

A guy I know with barely 20 jumps messaged me this weekend. 

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 13.36.12.png   129.41KB   10 downloads

At least he's enthusiastic and asking for advice. 

And I've agreed to write a plan for him about how to spend the rest of his first 200 jumps so he's as ready as he can be. 

#2 100%GravityFeed

100%GravityFeed
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hey, Dont suppose you have a sub 200 Plan for those wanting to fly wing suits?! Is there stuff I should be reading once I have 100+ under my belt?

#3 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,772 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:5500+

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

Focus on skydiving, learn to fly your body before you stick it in a wingsuit, those suits don't fly themselves, more experience the better, also canopy courses would help,
Maybe also wait till you have 500+ jumps, would be more sensible if you want to do more than a couple of jumps.

#4 100%GravityFeed

100%GravityFeed
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

Yeah of course, I don't wanna BASE or Prox fly, but I realise it will be a while away till I have the experience necessary.

"Fly'in through space ain't like dusting crops"

#5 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,161 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

Get good at tracking. By tracking I mean efficient horizontal distance covered. Not just tracking with mates at a steep angle. 

Buy a tracking suit and have forty jumps on it before you go to a big wall. 

Get good at canopy control, accuracy. Buy a kit with a 7 cell canopy in it. Characteristics will be closer to that of a base canopy. 

Learn to flat pack your skydiving kit. It will help you when you pack your base canopy. 

Get good at freefall. Ie learn the basic controls belly to earth. Then learn about the wind head up. 

Buy a base kit. And pack the main into your skydiving kit. Do some jumps on that. I've got a list of skills you should practice.

This was my first draft plan for him. Am, as always, open to suggestions.

#6 MattK

MattK
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

That's good advice Brian, although learning to flatpack their skydiving rig might be difficult without packing tabs, and there's no way a 240 is going to fit in their 150 sports rig (for example). I do appreciate that spoon feeding people too much is unhelpful in the long run..

Do any DZOs let people borrow student kit to hook up their massive 7-cells to?

#7 frontfloater

frontfloater
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Home DZ:Cockerham
  • Jumps:1250

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

"Learn to flat pack your skydiving kit. It will help you when you pack your base canopy. "

I am curious about this, and please excuse my ignorance as I have no experience of BASE.  I still flat-pack after nearly 40 years, mainly because I consider it more of a fail-safe system than pro-packing.  But I always have to concede that it is less likely to give an on-heading opening.  So your advice has me puzzled - I would have thought that, of all jumpers, BASE folk are those most in need of on-heading openings.  Why do you advise flat-packing?

BOB

#8 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Very few BASE jumpers that I'm aware of pro-pack. I've seen it done on a rare occasion. But the vast majority flat pack because they want the on heading openings, because they can control the canopy more with their hands and clamps, because they can make sure the canopy is as symmetrical as possible. 

If your packing is giving you off heading openings perhaps worth looking at your body position on deployment AND throughout the deployment, or get someone to watch you pack?

Maybe you've picked up a bad habit over the years and haven't realised? 40 years of jumping and >1250 jumps is not a massive amount of jumps, 30pa and it's easy to go long periods without jumping. Skill fade is a real phenomenon.

Are you going to Skydive The Expo? There's a packing masterclass at 1pm by the European rep for PD. I'm thinking of going, my packing is a bit shite still. I mean, they open nearly always. ;-)

#9 eightwayliz

eightwayliz

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Actually all BASE jumpers pro-pack - even you, Brian! The confusion here is that most people incorrectly think that pro-packing means doing it over your shoulder, while flat packing means doing it on the floor.

Actually, the 'pro' in pro-packing stands for Proper Ram-Air Orientation and is any pack job that is done so it deploys on heading. So this can be done over the shoulder like with most skydiving mains, or on the floor like with most skydiving reserves and BASE canopies. It's still a pro-pack even if you do it on the floor, as long as it is stacked with the nose straight down into the floor, the left and right side orientated as such and the tail on the top of the pack job.

The flat packing that you see done on student skydiving kit is probably better called side-packing, and the canopy ends up 90 degrees off heading - so, in that sense, it isn't helpful for learning BASE packing. But for learning which lines go where, it's good.

#10 p.d

p.d
  • Members
  • 161 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:3000

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

I've never thought there's much difference between a pro pack and a flat pack - both ways end up with the canopy nose down on the floor with the lines stacked on top in something like the right order. Something like a 'roll pack' on the other hand looks very different and a bit like a mal waiting to happen, yet still seemed to work well enough, at least before we all started jumping small zero p canopies

#11 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

With a flat pack the nose is to one side, and the canopy is folded on to one side, only the tail is folded to face the heading

#12 frontfloater

frontfloater
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

Apologies for my ambiguous wording.  What I was referring to is the side-packing described by Liz, with all the cells stacked on top of each other.  Yes, the canopy ends up 90 degrees off heading - while on the floor - but certainly not every time upon deployment.  I reckon on 1 in 10 to 20 openings being off heading, but with proper long flat tracking that isn't a problem.  Not so with BASE ...

BOB

#13 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

the canopy should inflate from the nose, so if the nose is to one side then it will open to the side

#14 frontfloater

frontfloater
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

"...if the nose is to one side then it will open to the side"

Did you ever side-pack?  I'm guessing not, from your start-date.  That's not what happens in practice : it sorts itself out, most of the time.  I've packed about a dozen different mains (and two reserves) this way - from 1970s Clouds & Strato-stars onwards.  The only one which regularly opened off-heading was a PD Silhouette - probably because it was the smallest I've jumped, I was right at the top of its weight range, and it was the only model which was slightly elliptical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users