Photo
- - - - -

Is it normal for skydivers to not be insured for personal accident/ injury whilst on a jump plane?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mbee

Mbee
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

Is it normal for skydivers to not be insured for personal accident/ injury whilst on a jump plane?

I'm looking at an insurance policy for insure 4 sport which covers up to 200 sports including skydiving if selected.
Reading the policy it states:
"We will not be liable for injuries/ disablement directly or indirectly resulting from:
5. Your engaging in air travel except as a passenger in a properly licensed multi-engined aircraft being operated by a licensed commercial air carrier or owned and operated by a commercial concern."

i know sitting in a plane and skydiving are different but I would have assumed that for insurance purposes it would be all classed under 1 activity being skydiving.
Does anyone know if most of them are like this or should I keep looking?

#2 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Regarding normality of skydivers not being insured... yup, in the UK the vast majority of people will rely on the NHS. Some full time skydivers will have loss of earning insurance or similar but not all. 

#3 Mbee

Mbee
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

That policy is to do with travel insurance. It's basically saying if you have an accident in freefall or under canopy you're insured but if there's an aircraft emergency and you're still in the plane when injured you're not insured.

#4 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

ah 'whilst on a jump plane'. I see what you mean now.

You'd hope you'd be covered by the insurance of the plane operator.

#5 PilotRMK

PilotRMK
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Home DZ:Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:650

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

Insurance that doesn’t cover the activities you do is not really “insurance”.  Choose insurance cover that explicitly covers your needs and check that the cover is the same when renewing annually (as cover limits can change each year).

The company noted by the OP seems a poor choice for anyone doing anything adventurous.  Just because they put “sport” in the name doesn’t make it useful for someone active in a variety of sports.

#6 Mbee

Mbee
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

Insurance that doesn’t cover the activities you do is not really “insurance”.  Choose insurance cover that explicitly covers your needs and check that the cover is the same when renewing annually (as cover limits can change each year).

The company noted by the OP seems a poor choice for anyone doing anything adventurous.  Just because they put “sport” in the name doesn’t make it useful for someone active in a variety of sports.

Thanks for your answer.
That company supposedly does cover skydiving, that is what I selected and that is the policy that popped up.
I found another company that does actually cover you if you're injured in the plane so I'm sorted now.

#7 StKi1da

StKi1da
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Jumps:400

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Which company can I ask?  I'm aware that many skydivers use BUPA Global for Travel / Holiday insurance.  Not the cheapest, and at it's best value if buying annually, but covers all risks including skydiving.

#8 Mbee

Mbee
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

I ended up getting Skycover. Then the cheapest I could find for general travel insurance.
Funnily enough, after settling on Skycover I am currently abroad in hospital after having an accident on landing.
Once the insurance kicked in I got moved to a private hospital and should get help going home.
If all goes well going home I'll definitely use them again.

#9 Mbee

Mbee
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

Even though they have multiple policies. I still stuck to single trip Europe cover, even though I've planned to jump in Kenya in December. I'll just buy annual single trip. It's cheaper that way.

#10 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

I ended up getting Skycover. Then the cheapest I could find for general travel insurance.
Funnily enough, after settling on Skycover I am currently abroad in hospital after having an accident on landing.
Once the insurance kicked in I got moved to a private hospital and should get help going home.
If all goes well going home I'll definitely use them again.

Thanks for the update on the insurance decision, I know I find it a pain when it's that time again and judging from the fb posts I see asking about it, I know others do too.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users