• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnPG

JohnPG
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Random question to get you thinking...

So, despite last year's cr*p weather I got my A license and now thinking of getting some kit.  However, I'm not impressed with the paper tissue reserves that we use in paragliding (which is my other timesink) so wondering if I could kill two birds with one wing...

Paragliders spend a lot of time close to the ground, so reserves need to deploy really quickly. You deploy them, I kid you not, by pulling the red handle (so far so normal), pulling the bundle of reserve out and then lobbing it is hard as possible in a suitable direction. And if you don't throw it quick enough, they burst at terminal speeds. 

Is there any kit I could use for both sports?  Would a normal skydiving reserve work fast enough, or would a BASE rig deploy quicker? 

Thoughts?

#2 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,139 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

So much to think about. 

I guess there have been experiments in the past using pilot chutes to extract the reserve? Worth looking into to find out why they don't use them.

Lighter canopies will deploy faster. I guess that is the trade off for not taking them to altitude. 

I may be wrong but I don't see how/why a container with a BASE canopy designed to open at terminal would open faster than a skydiving container with a skydiving reserve. Unless some kit is detuned so as not to damage the human body too much. 

There is plenty more to discuss...

#3 p.d

p.d
  • Members
  • 161 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:3000

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Nah, horses for courses. Most paragliding kit has no cutaway, so a square skydiving reserve is never going to play nicely with your collapsed wing, so you're looking at a round (or some variation of a round). An old front mounted skydiving reserve might work for paragliding, but even if the canopy could withstand freefall opening the single riser and rest of the paragliding harness might not. Give it a go. Make sure you get video  ;-)

#4 JohnPG

JohnPG
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

There's a bit more to it...

As I'm tighter than two coats of paint, I want to buy kit that will be useful for lots of things.  I have half an eye on BASE jumping in the future, hence mentioning BASE.  Being a noob, I assumed that a BASE rig would deploy quicker - guessing that's wrong?  

pd - you're sort of right about the cut-aways; most don't.  However, you do find tandem PGs using Charly quick-outs (cut aways) - they do exist. We have steerable reserves (rogallo-style) which do generally play nice with a collapsed main.

You make a good point about the PG harness - I was kind of thinking of wearing a Skydiving rig inside the PG harness. Haven't got further than thinking of cutting out of the PG harness when high - for the close-to-ground stuff I'd need a proper think.  There is a system available where you cut away from the PG harness which automatically deploys the reserve but...    (And I always fly with a GoPro... ;)

So much to think about!

#5 p.d

p.d
  • Members
  • 161 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:3000

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

'spose it depends a lot of where your flying - if you spend your time doing acro 2000ft above a French lake, then cutting away your wing might be an option. If you spend most of your time scratching to get a couple of hundred feet above some scraggy hillside in the UK, cutting away is unlikely to end well.

#6 frontfloater

frontfloater
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Home DZ:Cockerham
  • Jumps:1250

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:59 PM

"You deploy them, I kid you not, by pulling the red handle (so far so normal), pulling the bundle of reserve out and then lobbing it as hard as possible in a suitable direction. "

That's exactly what I had to do on my first cutaway.  After pulling the wire rings on my Paracommander's one-and-a-half shot capewells.  It works.  Or at least, it does with a nice strong I-24 .  

Ah, the good (bad) old days....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PG, reserve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users