- - - - -

Favourite FS1 sequence

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,153 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.
  • Jumps:>2k

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

I used to use PEQA but was chatting to an FS coach (Fleur) at Headcorn who uses PFQM and I think I prefer that.

P = widebody
F = open according
Q = phalanx
M = star

P is a solid exit. Along with an H it's one of the easiest exits. IC has the only difficult-ish exit.

F allows for the student to take a grip and allow a grip to be taken on them. It's infacing and allows them to fly themselves without too much interference. A good confidence builder.

Q... outfacing. If the student is tall have them as OC. If not have them as IC. Just reverse the Q depending on which slot they're in to ensure they're outfacing.

M is infacing and allows big smiles across the formation.

The beauty of this sequence is that
1) it can be flown as a 2way, a 3way and a 4way with the student doing the same moves on consecutive jumps.
2) the coach flies the other centre slot so the student is always looking at the coach. And the coach can set the fall rate.

I've always found it a little odd making the student be point and getting them to look at someone other than the coach or having two people not the coach be in the centre slots.

What's your favourite sequence? One of the the ones from the FS Progression Manual or something else?

#2 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,153 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Freelance AFFI and FS Load Organiser, based primarily at Langar.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:15 PM

Or what sequence was your FS1 jump? Do you even remember?

#3 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

My FS1 jump many years ago was the old classic BOMJ... I think I flew in it rather than everyone flying around me, but my memory is hazy.

Nowadays, the sequence I use is HOQM if I recall correctly.

I usually have the student as Point, which ensures they've got an outfacing Q slot. Rest of the rational is pretty much the same as you've stated.

#4 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

So does that you mean you fly Tail then so they've got eye contact with you?

#5 Alex B

Alex B
  • Members
  • 211 posts
  • Home DZ:HINTON / SEVILLE
  • Jumps:Some

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

I recall passing my FS1 in Seville, one of the best things I ever did in my life (I hope the wife doesn't read this) I have no idea of the sequence but it's here... 

#6 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:29 PM

So does that you mean you fly Tail then so they've got eye contact with you?

I don't usually, the other fliers on the jump are/should be good enough to be a decent opposite for the student, frequently at the DZ I generally jump at, the others on the jumps are other FS coaches anyway. I don't think it matters a great deal if they are looking at the jump coach across the formation, or one of the other people on the jump, as long as they are flying their slot properly and are aware of what's going on in the jump. I prefer being one of the centres. I can still see the student well enough from either of the other two slots. 

Edited by degeneration, 20 September 2018 - 09:32 PM.

#7 PotterAlex

PotterAlex
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:350

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:36 AM

Coaching at Dunkeswell we typically use PJMQ.

With the student flying OC and coach IC.

As previously mentioned for others this allows us to do the jump as a 2 way. Which we always do preceding the 4 way.

It makes it quite easy to brief as all you're really doing is spacing out the jump from the 2 way, making the student still working relative to the coach just with adding spacing for the other fliers.

I like the J as it make the student think about their lower body. If they focus on the taking the grip and not presenting it the J won't build properly.

#8 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:20 AM

I like the J as it make the student think about their lower body. If they focus on the taking the grip and not presenting it the J won't build properly.

Don't they have to do that on the Q though? Presenting their leg

#9 PotterAlex

PotterAlex
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:350

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:44 AM

Yes they do, but it's also common that they just get distracted and chase the grip for the J.

#10 BlueSkyBri

BlueSkyBri
  • Administrators
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:30 PM

Hmmm. I worry about the 'creep of excellence'. I mean, FS1 is there to make sure that you're safe in the sky with others. The 4pt 4way isn't even a requirement in other orientations ("too hard") so I don't think we need to make it harder than necessary in flat flying...

Arguably even having a Q in there is excessively tricky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users